60th birthday safari ideas….

Options
Hi all 

right I need to pick your brains for ideas. 

My father will be 60 this year.
He’s been a hard working military man, raised myself, my sister and taken on his two step children. 

He has a bad back now but does enjoying riding his tandem bike with his wife. 

His 60th birthday is coming up and he is going to Africa for a safari for his birthday. 

I’m after ideas that will either compliment this, or make his 60th special. 

Obviously looking to spend a decent amount and if something is really good then may go halves with my sister towards it. 
Already have a family meal planned together. 

Thanks in advance 
Making Changes To Save My Life
April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Which country in Africa is he going to?  Maybe contact the tour company and ask them for ideas or go to Trip Advisor and ask on the said country‘s forum for ideas.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,180 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For my uncle's 70th birthday my cousins arranged a 'burn up' for him and my aunt round the local area on one of those three wheeled motorbikes. They loved it!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Squoozy
    Squoozy Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If he’s going on a safari I would say a really nice camera is a must have
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Tour company add ons can be needlessly expensive but you could look at the package they are on and see if it includes something like a balloon or helicopter  ride to give them an overall view of the area they are seeing at ground level. Or you could look at providing something like this as a red letter day experience for when he returns home. There are any number of things you could provide or do to make this birthday year special so prolonging the celebrations.
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,664 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks all. 

We actually had a family get together the weekend before last and had a meal with 14 of us - him, his wife, his two daughters, his two step children, his son in law, a daughter in law and his 6 grandkids. Then we went back to my sisters house and we had decorated the place with balloons and safari themed balloon animals with a safari themed cake for him. I did give him a small gift of Safari hats for him and his wife which they loved and have packed with them. 

They flew out last night and landed in Africa this morning. I have cunningly been eeking details of their stay out of my father for the last few weeks so know where they are staying and have messaged the hotel and asked them if there is anything I can add to their holiday for them as it is his birthday. They have asked for the date, booking name etc which I have given to them and they are going to decorate his room, provide a small cake and sign them onto a night time safari on the day of his birthday. 

Then when he gets home he will have an actual gift, cards etc. 

Thank you for suggestions. x

Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Get him a sweet camera so he can take photos that will last through generations. Maybe even some clothes too! You cant go on a safari without a solid safari hat at the very least. Other than that perhaps just the essentials he will need i.e nice water bottle, back-pack etc
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Original post was over 7 months ago so probably all sorted now. 🙂
  • DigSunPap
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    Still worth an input!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    DigSunPap said:
    Pollycat said:
    Still worth an input!
    Possibly not when the occasion that asked for advice has passed months ago.

Some threads do benefit from input even after months of inactivity.
    But not all.
    Necroposting is seen as a negative action on most public forums as it just encourages posters to waste their time offering advice on something that is all sorted. 🙂
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    DigSunPap said:
    Pollycat said:
    Still worth an input!
    Possibly not when the occasion that asked for advice has passed months ago.

Some threads do benefit from input even after months of inactivity.
    But not all.
    Necroposting is seen as a negative action on most public forums as it just encourages posters to waste their time offering advice on something that is all sorted. 🙂
    @pol@Pollycat Well I do apologise then! I am a newbie here as you can see. Not heard the term Necroposting before but I presume it means a dead thread. Will take the feedback on board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback