Water meter illegible, options?

Options
Our water meter is of an age where the clear plastic covering the numbers has degraded. It's become opaque and means we cannot read the numbers. (The outer metal box has badly degraded too, which does not help.) Our water company reports it's not causing a supply problem and the case closed without discussion. They are correct in their observation however, we have no way to verify the readings we see on bills. I don't entirely see the point of a meter we cannot read. As well as verifying consumption, what will happen when we come to move out? Our water company has been good enough to book an in person appointment and I'd like to be prepared as best possible.

Any ideas on how to tackle this please? TIA.

Comments

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Take a look at this page.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/consumer-rights/water-meter-not-read-complaints

If your Water Company in England and Wales cannot resolve your issue then you have the right to escalate your case to the Consumer Council for Water. The Consumer Council for Water is an independent organisation that represents consumers’ interests. Any household or non-household customer of a water and sewerage or water only company can complain to Consumer Council. It has powers to investigate most of the complaints you may have about your company’s services. You can find more information about Consumer Council on its website, www.ccwater.org.uk.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm adding an update on the off chance it proves useful to someone else. I have had some progress which is good. The water company came out and 'cleaned' the plastic. It's still difficult to read but they were very friendly and said if the meter readers struggled, they'd report it and change the unit. The water company staff have been approachable throughout.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The covering on a water meter is normally the same material as headlights.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/learn/maintenance/how-to-clean-foggy-headlights/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback