Energy company reluctant to upgrade Smart Meter

Options
workingboy
workingboy Posts: 293 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 23 February 2023 at 8:45PM in Energy
I have Series 1 Smart meters supplied by BG some 8yrs ago.

I requested a In Home Display from our current supplier to which they supplied.

As the meters are of the 1st Gen, the IHD will not connect even within 50cm distance. Been advised the meters are too old by the energy company.

When using the energy hub, the hourly/daily usage rate etc are approx 48/72hrs behind and some days there are no electric or gas readings.

I have been told by the company we need we need the latest generation meters for realtime info.

But when asked when could expect new meters, they say we are on the list. This has been on going for 6mths, adding our fixed rate contract ends in July. 

Can we force the company to fit the latest meters now or just have to wait, thats if they do it before the contract ends.

Comments

• Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 February 2023 at 8:52PM
    Options
    Check comparability on this page for an ivie bud

https://ivie.co.uk/product/ivie-bud/

Out of the following apps for your phone loop is the most buggy but updates the fastest for energy usage, bright and Hugo are other options. Bright looks the cleanest 
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    You have a functioning meter so you won’t be a priority for replacement I wouldn’t think. Is the meter still sending readings to the supplier as it should? Have you downloaded the Bright app or similar to see if that will give you a better idea of your user? (It won’t be real time, but it will be better than nothing, perhaps? )
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • workingboy
    Options
    Mstty said:
     Thanks,
    Meters are not compatible
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Mstty said:
     Thanks,
    Meters are not compatible
    That's a shame, worth trying the apps for your phone as a make do
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You cannot force the supplier to replace your smart meters. Suppliers are working with the DCC to see whether meters such as yours can be adopted by the DCC and enrolled onto the DCC network. There is I believe an ongoing SmartEnergy GB consultation to agree an enrolment programme close down date. Any unadopted meters after that date will then be replaced.

Suppliers are only obliged to provide a working IHD for 12 months from the date of a smart meter installation. 
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When using the energy hub, the hourly/daily usage rate etc are approx 48/72hrs behind and some days there are no electric or gas readings.
    Sounds to me as if the smart meter has been enrolled and is submitting readings.

With the current shortage of smart meters and the need for suppliers toreplace old meters there is not much chance they will give you a new one just because you would like an IHD.

• workingboy
    Options
    Yes the meters are submitting readings, albeit some days one or the is not submitted till next day etc.
    As said, cannot use a IHD for reatilme monitor also their app is lagging 48hrs with usage display
  • Yes the meters are submitting readings, albeit some days one or the is not submitted till next day etc.
    As said, cannot use a IHD for reatilme monitor also their app is lagging 48hrs with usage display
    Normally, suppliers 'pull' data (index readings and an XML usage file) from each smart meter once every 24 hours (depending on the meter profile). They do this with a bespoke secure piece of software known as an Adapter.

I am with Octopus. My import and export electricity data for the previous day gets updated mid- morning: gas follows on later in the day.

The fact that your supplier's app is not updating is down to their systems.

Try the App BRIGHT. It 'pulls' data from your meter in the same way as your supplier.
  • 70sbudgie
    70sbudgie Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    Yes the meters are submitting readings, albeit some days one or the is not submitted till next day etc.
    Normally, suppliers 'pull' data (index readings and an XML usage file) from each smart meter once every 24 hours (depending on the meter profile). They do this with a bespoke secure piece of software known as an Adapter.

I am with Octopus. My import and export electricity data for the previous day gets updated mid- morning: gas follows on later in the day.

Try the App BRIGHT. It 'pulls' data from your meter in the same way as your supplier.
    Sorry to jump on someone else's post, but does this mean that if I can get HH data (for gas) from the Octopus Old Consumption Dashboard and another website, but can't see it on the latest Octopus energy use page, the issue is with the new IT? 
    4.3kW PV, 3.6kW inverter. Octopus Tracker. Zoe. Ripple x 2. Cheshire
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options

Octopus show me the data for the previous day at the same times as you. When I tried Bright, they updated the electric at the same time, or very close to it (no gas). I assumed it was the network that did the pull, and then it was simultaneously available to all parties with permission to access it.

Do you actually see your data on Bright earlier than Octopus?
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback