Multi Fuel Burner

13»

Comments

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    FreeBear said:
    ThisIsWeird said: I did build a chimney breast for sil, to take a slightly larger, 5kW, fire, sides, top and front finished with a double skin of normal p'board, and finished in normal skim. No cracks, no issues. I did, tho', line the back with the heatproof board as per the instructions. 

Plasterboard is not rated as fireproof, so should never be used close to a stove.

A giant pile of poo...
    Ironically this is the correct answer to the OP's problem!   :D  Traditionally, chimneys were "parged" using a mix of lime and cow dung, to give a heat and fire-resistant lining.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I should make it clear that I like FB, find him hugely knowledgeable, and trust he'll take that comment in the jocular manner it was intended.

I have my logs stacked up with barely an inch between then and the slightly larger stove than the OP's, and they are barely warm. I know it's 'silly', but I'm just going by the practicalities of - they are simply not going to burst into flames.

The OP's plaster skim seems surprisingly vulnerable for some reason. Slight expansion movement in the bricks, I guess?
  • Thankyou I do appreciate all the comments and do feel reassured.
  • NeverTooLate
    NeverTooLate Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 February 2023 at 10:50AM

I have my logs stacked up with barely an inch between then and the slightly larger stove than the OP's, and they are barely warm. I know it's 'silly', but I'm just going by the practicalities of - they are simply not going to burst into flames.

We did this until one day there was smoke in the room and I couldn't understand how it was getting out of the log burner - it wasn't, the logs stacked either side of the burner were gently smoking  :o

• I have my logs stacked up with barely an inch between then and the slightly larger stove than the OP's, and they are barely warm. I know it's 'silly', but I'm just going by the practicalities of - they are simply not going to burst into flames.

We did this until one day there was smoke in the room and I couldn't understand how it was getting out of the log burner - it wasn't, the logs stacked either side of the burner were gently smoking  :o
    Ok, they are going to burst into flames... Will move them another inch. Ta. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback