Wife in A+E this morning after a bleed on the brain

Absolute nightmare today
Would like to know what my options are as regards anything to do with assistance at home for her or anything like that? Where to look etc etc for info.
She is 75,  i'm 68 work p time now.
Any advice would be useful
The bleed is on the left side so rh side is u/s at the moment and no speech.
Thanks David

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
     There will be social workers based in the hospital. They would be your first port of call. They will carry out an assessment and put Care plan in place and advise on adjustments and care needed. They will then pass to community social workers when she is discharged.

Hope you are able to cope with this x 
  • Bless you    thanks x
    Anybody else like to comment ?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As above, when she is nearing the time when the Doctors think she can leave the hospital, then the Discharge Team will get involved. They will assess her and see what they think is the best way forward. Can be going home, or to a care home, or maybe to some kind of rehabilitation facility.
    As is regularly in the news, the hospital discharge can get delayed due to difficulties in making suitable arrangements due to lack of places, staff etc
    If she is able to come home, a care package will be put in place ( hopefully before she arrives home) with maybe carers visiting regularly, with some special equipment maybe.
    A lot will depend on if  some of the movement and speech, start to come back. I am not a medic but will probably be a week or two before you have a better picture. Good Luck !
  • Hopefully your wife will be transferred to a stroke unit from A&E, where they will try to rehabilitate her. You will be involved in discussions about the next step, once the picture is clearer. As above, that may be returning home, possibly with a care/support package, transferring to a rehabilitation facilility, or going to a care home.

Try not to panic at the moment, there is likely to be some spontaneous recovery in the first few weeks so it will take a while for the real picture to emerge. 

Best of luck to you and your wife, the same thing happened to my husband in November 2021. It was like a thunderbolt in our lives.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,275 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    A horrible time for you. But make sure you look after yourself. As your good lady is in the best place at the moment.

As above. Once moved to a suitable ward, the process will start with rehab. Plenty of physo etc while in hospital & then maybe moved to a rehab unit. But rest assured that care plans will be put in place before she comes home. So you get the best support at home.

Again. Please take time for yourself. 👍
    Life in the slow lane
  • puwer98
    puwer98 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Absolute nightmare today
    Would like to know what my options are as regards anything to do with assistance at home for her or anything like that? Where to look etc etc for info.
    She is 75,  i'm 68 work p time now.
    Any advice would be useful
    The bleed is on the left side so rh side is u/s at the moment and no speech.
    Thanks David
    This happened to my wife back in Jan 2020 she spent 3 months in hospital (Covid was on then) it was a nightmare unable to visit mobile only, Anyway when she came out she could only walk with a mobile the hospital gave her, I bought her one with proper wheels. We are both 77 now. We were given 6 weeks free council payed care 3 times a day but reduced it to one a day after the 6 weeks ended. We then had to pay at £16.50 an hour 3.5 hours a week its means tested. It was £200 every 4 weeks. it was difficult with us being on state pension, We had over the £16000 so could not get benefits.
    So there is help the council should come to see you to assess the situation.
    Good luck you will need it
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You don't have to buy all your equipment, as it can be provided when you leave hospital or from OT. Before my operation I bought a wheelchair (very cheap and little used; lots of new/nearly so on Gumtree). The A&E sent me to a local small hospital for physio, but I was sent home unable to walk, with no offer.

During my 2.5 year wait for an operation, one of my GPs (via a staff member who volunteers for Age UK) arranged for a home assessment from OT from which which I got a chair bath lift, but refused double stair rails or a stairlift.

After my not very successful op, I left hospital with a small walking frame (because I have to live upstairs to reach
    the bathroom and a toilet frame. This was followed by a wheeled larger one, ordered by my physio, who then abandoned me.

I am now going to ask for bath steps (refused before, as I stumbled when trying one) because my present unstable balance makes even using the lift, very stressful and exterior door steps (similar to bath steps) as I find going from interior floor, over the UPVC door frame to footpath very uncomfortable (before I could balance one foot on the door frame's outer ledge, but loss of sensation endangers this).

In Staffordshire, where I live, Medequip provides the items, which are not income assessed or charged for, as I believe they are on loan, though I have not been informed of this , but items have a returns phone number on a sticker. They also did a free 6 month service on the bath lift.

The assessor told me that they have a limited list of things to access, with some, like the lift, for special cases, so you have to buy some things yourself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback