We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

interest on PPI r40 claim form help needed

Options
last year i filled in a r40 to claim my tax free allowance for my ppi payout in 2019 i have just been told by HMRC that i need to complete it again i did not put in the correct figures apparently i find the form very confusing to say the least i followed a video on you tube that seems to make it simple it must be wrong according to HMRC  you have to input all the relevant figures so I'm now getting ready to complete another r40 form looking at my letters  from the 7 ppi payouts can anyone help me fill it in correctly
box 3.1 net interest 
my letter 
ppi applied to account unfairly £557.54 
plus interest on premiums paid £308.53
plus 8% compulsory interest £580.55

all letters are set out this way just what interest is put in the box should i add premiums paid interest and compulsory interest together and witch is net interest is there a easier way could i add all the letters together my head is mashed but ill soon sort it with your help im sure thanks in advance 

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    We're all seven payouts in the same tax year?
  • lancstar
    lancstar Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 February 2023 at 11:48AM
    Options
    yes all came together in may 2019
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    So I think you should find a tax figure on the details for each payout.

Using the example in your op it is likely to show £116.11.

But it might be £177.81.  

Can you find that info?

• lancstar
    Options
    have a look at the photos all the info is there the other photo shows the the r40 box 3.1 to 3.7 that i am trying to fill in what amounts should i put in each box
    the YouTube video i followed "how to successfully complete the uk gov ppi tax R40 form" is different now this could be out of date now it shows to put nothing in any box other than net interest paid by banks \ PPI etc.  this is incorrect according to my phone call with HMRC 
    so confusing will i have to complete a r40 for all 7 letters ? 
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 February 2023 at 12:37PM
    Options
    You complete an R40 for a particular tax year.

So if you received all 7 payments in the same tax year it will just be one R40.

All the information is there on the letter.

Statutory interest £580.55
    Tax deducted £116.11

Deduct one from the other to get the net interest.

Do the same for the other six and add them all together.

And hope the total doesn't exceed £10,000 as that would mean you can't use an R40.

You do not include PPI refunds themselves on an R40 as that isn't taxable.
  • lancstar
    Options
    thanks very much Dazed_and_C0nfused much clearer now what would people do without your help ill get on it now 
  • lancstar
    Options
    ps i was digging around in the shed and came across a old loan agreement from 17/01 2005 that i had missed when claiming my PPI I know its over to make a claim now but just wondered on your thoughts its a £25.000 loan with £3.500 PPI i remember the agent from council home buyers saying if you don't have any PPI on the loan then you will probably not get the loan what are the chances on getting any type of claim going on this unlike the others i have the complete loan agreement with Future Mortgages 
    i have since sold the property and payed off the lone well over 10 years ago would love to have found it before the dead line I always new about it but never got the address to send a claim to tried everything what's your thoughts on this  
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 February 2023 at 7:19PM
    Options
    I thought the deadline for trying to claim anything was long gone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure