LPG contract going to run out in March. Do I have to sign up then, or can I wait until Summer?

Options
Hi

Small question as a new-ish LPG user: our Avanti contract is going to run out in March (we will hopefully have a full tank by then, if they actually manage to get to us in the next week - but that's another story. Grrrr). Do I have to sign up (with them or someone else) immediately so there is no break in contract service, or can I wait until Summer when I think prices might be lower?

Comments

• NeilJ66
    Options
    You probably signed up to a 2 year deal but it's not the contract length that was 2 years it was your fixed / capped price that was for a 2 year period. All that will happen in March is your previously contracted prices will disappear and Avanti will be free to charge what they want, you still have a contract with them until you cancel it or switch elsewhere.
    To avoid getting stung with a price increase, make sure you get a fill up before March and then you can take your time looking around for quotes, all Avanti will charge you in the meantime is the standing charge.
  • aurora_boo
    aurora_boo Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 February 2023 at 3:53AM
    Options
    Excellent. Thanks for your explanation. I just wasn't sure if my tank was going to be 'homeless' and I'd be under pressure to sign up for something immediately that two year contract ran out.

I certainly hope I'll have a full tank once the contract runs out - I'm currently on 7% and Avanti are being cagey and unhelpful about when I can expect a fill up - despite an order being in for over 3 weeks. Last word I had, after being on hold for over 30 minutes, was "don't bother us until you're on less than 5%"!

I find their customer service somewhat ~lacking~...
  • Sorting_Hat
    Sorting_Hat Posts: 123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 February 2023 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Contracts roll onwards, what happens is its the 2 year exclusivity period that ends.

So you are free to switch, but it is still their tank and you will need to pay the rent on it until the new firm buys the tank  and then you start paying rent to the new firm.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback