Wedding Event Cancellation

Comments

• As others have said, what does your contract say about cancellation.

Have you sought information about their licence - perhaps it is expiring and they are giving you this excuse to remove their liability from the contract.   An Authorised Person not being able to be present at a ceremony in July is a very poor excuse. 

I do note you don't usually come back to your threads to update or help with queries, hopefully on this occasion you will.
  • The venue is a very special venue - it organises both a wedding/blessing service and banqueting service. The venue was personal yo both of us. I appreciate your ideas about other venues but that is something personal to us and we will decide in due course how/venue an alternative venue or event will be arranged. Fact remains that we will lose the money for flight tickets unless Ryanair offers a goodwill gesture (highly unlikely). 10 tickets are to be cancelled. 

Thank you for the pragmatic idea of reading the T&C. I have checked it:

“The occurrence of such an event may require us to cancel your booking of the Chapel 
    at short notice. If this happens, any fee paid to the House of Lords will of course be 
    refunded, but we will accept no liability for any other losses you may incur as a result 
    of the cancellation. We will, however, make every effort to rebook your 
    marriage/blessing at the earliest, most convenient opportunity”
    :beer:
  • goater78
    goater78 Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    You were getting married in the House of Lords? Sounds pretty lavish. 

It was probably cancelled for security reasons e.g. something important is now happening that day but they use the “no priest” reason to avoid the real reason being publicised. 
  • Looks like you'll have to try and claim on your wedding insurance or hope Ryanair allow a transfer or refund of the flights.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,097 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    There are about 20 Bishops who sit in the House of Lords - all licensed to officiate at marriage ceremonies. 
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • goater78
    goater78 Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 February 2023 at 1:57PM
    Robin9 said:
    There are about 20 Bishops who sit in the House of Lords - all licensed to officiate at marriage ceremonies. 
    I doubt that you can just rock up and the archbishop of Canterbury has ten minutes free so agrees to marry you 
  • I think goater is right, they might have something more extravagant going on that day, and don't want to say what it is.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    caseyblue said:
    I think goater is right, they might have something more extravagant going on that day, and don't want to say what it is.

Friday 8 July 

The House will not be sitting on Friday 8 July. 

The business for 4-8 July was announced in the Commons Chamber by the Leader of the House of Commons, Mark Spencer MP, on Thursday 30 June 2022.

Business is subject to change throughout the week.   

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2022/july-2022/coming-up-in-the-commons-4---8-july/

Wrong year!
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,408 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Opps. So much for google & 2023 answers 🤬

Post deleted 
    Life in the slow lane
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did you take out wedding insurance?

If you book a venue like the House of Lords (I didn't even know that was possible!) I think you have to expect the possibility of cancellations. Any Government business or visiting VIPs will always take precedence over your wedding and they're unlikely to tell you the real reason. I'd say wedding insurance is even more important for such a venue that normal.

If you want a more reliable wedding venue then choose somewhere normal. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback