Ozzy Osbourne ticket refunds - Getting a ticket refund on a closed account

Options
mynameisboba
mynameisboba Posts: 17 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I booked tickets to see Ozzy Osbourne back in 2018 via Ticketmaster.  After numerous reschedules the gig was recently cancelled.  Ticketmaster issued a refund to the “card issuer”.  Their instruction is to obtain the refund from the issuer.  However, I only know it was a MasterCard and the last 4 digits.  I don’t know which bank or credit card company issued it - it’s not my current retail bank.  It could be Co-Op bank, but I closed my accounts with them sometime ago and have got almost nothing in documentation with those details.

How do I trace who issued the card and get my money back?

Comments

• meldav2112
    Options
    I've got exactly the same problem. 🤷‍♂️
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You could ask them for the BIN code, which is the first 4-6 numbers and identifies the issuer, and sometimes the type of card, but they may legitimately not have it. 

If they dont/cant then its time to test how good your record keeping was... or failing that checking credit reference agencies to see who you held accounts with at that time. 
  • meldav2112
    Options
    Thanks,  it seemed an awful lot easier to leave my account.
  • mynameisboba
    mynameisboba Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2023 at 11:34PM
    Options
    I've got exactly the same problem. 🤷‍♂️
    I’ve made some progress.  

I did one of those free credit background checks that listed all the companies I had bought financial products and services from for the last 6 years.  I searched my email history for those companies and found an email from a card company that had those magic last 4 digits on it. So that’s how I found the company. 

I still didn’t have the full card number though.  I checked some old bank statements online from around the time I bought the ticket and found a Direct Debit payment for the company that listed the full card number as a reference - “Jurassic Park!”😄

However, when I phoned the credit card company to explain they said they couldn’t find any details of my account. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I went back into my emails - deep this time, into the online Gmail archive and found every email they had sent me - from confirmation of opening my account, confirmation of my DD set up, statement issue notifications, everything.  One important thread was where they dealt with a claim I made for a refund through the credit card company for a product that I orders online but was never delivered by the merchant, who ignored refund requests.

So, I’ve emailed their customer services with copies of all that, even text messages they sent me, the sales receipt for the ticket, the confirmation from Ticketbastard that they had refunded that account and all my details, the lot.

I’ll post an update when there is one.
  • meldav2112
    Options
    Well done, their not making it easy. Better find my inner sherlock.
  • turnitround
    turnitround Posts: 715 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I needed to get a refund for the Ozzy concert but mine was Eventim. Like you my card I paid with had expired. Eventim sent me an email saying my refund could not be processed and asked that I ring them which I did. It was as simple as giving them my new card number (or Paypal details) and they refunded me straight away.

Bit niggled though as I lost £30 in 'fees' through no fault of my own. But it was simple to get the refund.
  • meldav2112
    Options
    Sounds like Ticketmaster are at it then. I've still not got my money yet. Found out credit card company, so that's a start.
  • mynameisboba
    Options
    I needed to get a refund for the Ozzy concert but mine was Eventim. Like you my card I paid with had expired. Eventim sent me an email saying my refund could not be processed and asked that I ring them which I did. It was as simple as giving them my new card number (or Paypal details) and they refunded me straight away.

Bit niggled though as I lost £30 in 'fees' through no fault of my own. But it was simple to get the refund.
    Did you use a credit card?  If so, the protections you get mean you should get all your money back.
  • turnitround
    turnitround Posts: 715 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 March 2023 at 7:30PM
    Options
    No I used a debit card. I had bought a pair of tickets for my son and his mate. 

Its annoying when they had hold of my money for over 3 years.  I know its all there in the t&cs  you agree to when you book. I could accept losing the money if we chose to cancel but not when its out of our control that the concert is cancelled by the artist. i argued the point as it was not just the booking fee but I also had to pay a £7.50 venue fee for a venue I will not be using.

They must have made an absolute fortune when Peter Kay sold out his tour then cancelled the day after a few years ago.
  • mynameisboba
    Options
    As an update, I’m having a mare with Capital One.  They say they can’t trace my account details, but I’ve sent them documents that irrefutable prove that I had an account and should be easily retrievable. They’ve either ignored it or lost my access details - probably ignored it.  Three credit reference agencies found details of my former account record, but CapOne can’t?

Escalated to a formal complaint.  Watch this space.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback