Fraudulent activity on credit card

2»

Comments

• diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 February 2023 at 2:02PM
    rdchick said:
    Of course it's most likely all happened online so physical movement doesn't really matter for that but if it did he'd have alibis 😅 
    I think it's just lucky he found out literally moments after the large transactions happened so was able to stop the card almost immediately. 

So general consensus is that he should be ok and the money should be returned to Barclaycard?
    Hi

Money was never returned to "Barclaycard" as we never paid what we knew we did not own.
    Ours were large transactions as we had a massive credit limit as we both word at the time
    If you are unsure, give BC a call for reassurance and if they have not mentioned, 'pay what you think are your payements' ask them to do that. Our experience was from years ago but it must still be the way forward IMO.

Then make a note of the date/time you rang and person you spoke to.

Good luck

btw - I think it was another similar thread re banking i posted on an hour ago - payments do no show up for days at a time at times and if I bought near where we live, their hQ may be in Wales and under a different title so long as the figures do not tally with what your OH did to or a few days ago, you will be advised not to pay just we did not.

(I've seen payments added to our card and think, WTH, but it is as above)

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,406 Forumite
    What may seem to you as a "stupid question" to me it was no big deal and easier for the staff on the other side of the phone to jot down whom we recently used that we had not used before - it was actually places I recall, a computer repair shop and small outfit, vheicle rental.  In situations like thie ie fraud against one card, I'm more than happy for them to involve the FBI from the states as I've nothing to hide.

Banks have a duty to their savers etc and have a right to ask questions. What they do after that is up to them. If you have nothing to hide, then its easy to agree.

Thanks

It's stupid, as I would get my backside kicked for asking a customer with fraud on their account, something like that when you have all the transaction sat on the screen in front of you.

Life in the slow lane
  • diystarter7
    edited 8 February 2023 at 2:08PM
    What may seem to you as a "stupid question" to me it was no big deal and easier for the staff on the other side of the phone to jot down whom we recently used that we had not used before - it was actually places I recall, a computer repair shop and small outfit, vheicle rental.  In situations like thie ie fraud against one card, I'm more than happy for them to involve the FBI from the states as I've nothing to hide.

Banks have a duty to their savers etc and have a right to ask questions. What they do after that is up to them. If you have nothing to hide, then its easy to agree.

Thanks

It's stupid, as I would get my backside kicked for asking a customer with fraud on their account, something like that when you have all the transaction sat on the screen in front of you.

Hi

That's your choice and my choice is clear, ie when asked a question if fraud is committed o my account, I answer the question
    as long as it makes sense to me

he highlighted bit, You do comprehend that its the bank asking the OP/me the question and not the retailer that I have never used for the fraudulent transactions??

Thanks
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,406 Forumite

Thanks

Hi

That's your choice and my choice is clear, ie when asked a question if fraud is committed o my account, I answer the question
    as long as it makes sense to me

he highlighted bit, You do comprehend that its the bank asking the OP/me the question and not the retailer that I have never used for the fraudulent transactions??

Thanks
    Yes. As it exactly what I do, talking from the banks perspective. 

Life in the slow lane
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rdchick said:
    Of course it's most likely all happened online so physical movement doesn't really matter for that but if it did he'd have alibis 😅 
    I think it's just lucky he found out literally moments after the large transactions happened so was able to stop the card almost immediately. 

So general consensus is that he should be ok and the money should be returned to Barclaycard?
    Hi

Money was never returned to "Barclaycard" as we never paid what we knew we did not own.
    Ours were large transactions as we had a massive credit limit as we both word at the time
    If you are unsure, give BC a call for reassurance and if they have not mentioned, 'pay what you think are your payements' ask them to do that. Our experience was from years ago but it must still be the way forward IMO.

Good luck

btw - I think it was another similar thread re banking i posted on an hour ago - payments do no show up for days at a time at times and if I bought near where we live, their hQ may be in Wales and under a different title so long as the figures do not tally with what your OH did to or a few days ago, you will be advised not to pay just we did not.

I mean the balance goes back to the last transaction made by yourself? He's told them what his last transaction was and doesn't use the card very often and keeps the available amount low due to things like this happening.
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • diystarter7
    rdchick said:
    rdchick said:

Hi

Good luck

I mean the balance goes back to the last transaction made by yourself? He's told them what his last transaction was and doesn't use the card very often and keeps the available amount low due to things like this happening.
    Hi

From memory as we did not have net baking etc and paid when bill arrived via cheque sent via post. When I noted the payments that were not from us, there were 3/4 of them, I rand Barclays fraud - they said pay what you own. I told them re the 4 transctions that werre not ours and they must have made a note. They asked me about if we had used car recently at places not used before and told them about that but those were legal payments we made but new to us

Therefore, bank was made aware about the monthly cc bill what was not ours and we sent a cheque for the amount demanded as we pay off our cc 100%- we deducted the payments that we had not made/used. Never heard about it again about the fraud/etc

However, as I said, this was done on the basis of the phone call and the fraud that was carried out was on the one bill only.

So give them another call and see what they say

Good luck
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport