Replacing Radiators before boiler replacement

Comments

• Thought id have a test of the drain valve and the valve turns but nothing comes out. I'll have to drain the system from a rad valve and then try and service that valve with as little as possible water in the system...oh what fun
  • BUFF
    BUFF Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    savings37 said:
    Thought id have a test of the drain valve and the valve turns but nothing comes out.
    You probably did but just checking - did you open the air vent on that rad at the same time?
  • BUFF said:
    savings37 said:
    Thought id have a test of the drain valve and the valve turns but nothing comes out.
    You probably did but just checking - did you open the air vent on that rad at the same time?
    Yes, I did open the air vent a little. 

The drain valve at the lowest part of the system is I'd imagine bunged up.

If I can drain the system from the radiator lock shield valve that should drain enough out of the system. It's a job for the weekend now though as I haven't enough time if I have any problems 🫣
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ah, the learning curve begins :smile:

• ThisIsWeird
    edited 6 February 2023 at 6:30PM
    Is yours a sealed system, S37? If so, once it's depressurised - and that will likely take an unexpectedly small amount of water - you'll be surprised at how little additional water comes out any disconnected pipe. (Rads excepted - they have tons...)
    The annoying aspect, tho', is that it will continue to trickle, and often 'glug'...
    A 'vented' system, on the other hand, will tend to completely empty its pipe contents, F&E tank and al'.
    The last wee jobbie I did on mine - replacing a couple of 2-port valves - didn't require any 'draining' at all. Once depressurised, the remaining trickle coming out the pipe ends was slowly collected in a basin as I casually swapped the valves. A short top-up, and all up and running.
  • Is yours a sealed system, S37? If so, once it's depressurised - and that will likely take an unexpectedly small amount of water - you'll be surprised at how little additional water comes out any disconnected pipe. (Rads excepted - they have tons...)
    The annoying aspect, tho', is that it will continue to trickle, and often 'glug'...
    A 'vented' system, on the other hand, will tend to completely empty its pipe contents, F&E tank and al'.
    The last wee jobbie I did on mine - replacing a couple of 2-port valves - didn't require any 'draining' at all. Once depressurised, the remaining trickle coming out the pipe ends was slowly collected in a basin as I casually swapped the valves. A short top-up, and all up and running.
    My system has the header tank in the loft, it's not a sealed system
  • ThisIsWeird
    edited 7 February 2023 at 12:11AM
    Ok, it'll all empty then.

You could - if you wanted - plug the outlet inside the F&E tank near its bottom. If the water is scuzzy, tho', might as well let it all drain.

The F&E will soon be history :smile:
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    savings37 said:
    BUFF said:
    savings37 said:
    Yes, I did open the air vent a little. 

The drain valve at the lowest part of the system is I'd imagine bunged up.

It’ll bunged up with the washer, happens all the time 
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Did you you give it a good bang?

Fitting a magna clean is easy and may as well be done now, I would also drain and refill to get it a little cleaner before doing the rads.
  • Well I had a go today and fitted a small rad, drained through the rad lock shield. Had a bit of an air lock when I refilled, managed to do enough bleeding to get it sorted. 

I'm going to do my bathroom rad as I want to fit a towel rail with it, the rest maybe have fitted by the plumber.

One thing I noticed when I drained the system, I was working on the lowest rad but the other downstairs rads all had water trying to come out of the bleed valve when I opened them. Almost as if the system wasn't fully empty 😕

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback