Losing capacity checklist

Options
Is there a checklist anywhere of things which should be double checked when someone has a prognosis that they may lose capacity in the foreseeable future?  LPAs, wills ...  etc
But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
Had the whole of their cash in his care.
Lewis Carroll

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    II don't know of any such checklist, and had a quick google for what to do when someone is diagnosed with dementia,  which is a condition where a lose of capacity would be expected, and I didn't come across any such checklist. The items that were mentioned were Powers of Attorney (both for Health and Financial Affairs), Wills and Benefits. 

You can register a Financial LPA with the DWP so that you can adminster benefits for someone who has lost capacity.

It would be worth ensuring you know where their important documents are stored. I would also try to make a note of the names of any organisations they have any dealings with e.g. pension companies, insurerers, etc. If might help to make a note of any account numbers or reference numbers associated with the person that could help the organisation to identify the person.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 31 January 2023 at 9:53PM
    Options
    You can apply to the DWP to be an appointee for benefits purposes, no LPA needed.
    https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February 2023 at 12:58AM
    Options
    Advanced decision? Even if there’s an LPA in place it can be helpful to clarify properly what level of treatment you might want and when you just want people to leave you alone.

Otherwise once you’ve got the LPA sorted it’s more a question of maybe thinking about your own life and what would be important for other people to know if you were suddenly incapacitated. In terms of both the practicalities, but also some guidance as to how you would want your LPA to act in different circumstances if that level of detail isn’t in there. That might prompt some areas for discussion. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback