NOW LIVE: The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. The theme is ENERGY. Please post your questions on bills, switches, alternative fuels etc. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer as many as possible


Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is this a HMO?



  • anselld
    anselld Forumite Posts: 8,153
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 28 January at 8:47AM
    Ok - look up the HMO spec for your LA it will clear tell you what is and whats not - were we live its more than 2 unrealted people
    It is nothing to do with where you live.  HMO is defined in the Housing Act - three or more persons from two or more households.
    Local Authorities can implement different variations of Planning and Licensing but these do not change the definition of "HMO".
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Forumite Posts: 4,626
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    it sounds like a HMO but whether or not that matters depends on your local council. Some e.g. insist you need planning permission for a HMO if you have more than 3 unrelated people living in a house. Bolton says 6 unrelated people require planning permission. 
  • flyer
    flyer Forumite Posts: 2,188
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    flyer said:
    I haven't spoken to the LA as they are a nightmare to deal with!
    Although they are called children, they are aged between 16 and 21
    Who looks after them? You get paid for rent or is it more than that?
    What made you ask the question at this point?
    We get paid to "support" them. This can be anything from taking them shopping to supporting them at immigration office meetings. I ask now because I don't want to get into trouble!
    Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
  • Ratkin007
    Ratkin007 Forumite Posts: 112
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    flyer said:
    The wording on Gov website is
    house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ 

    But the point I'm making is I don't rent out to 3 people. I rent to the LA.
    Not clear if you have all the info you want but you answer your own question.  Property is let to 4 unrelated people. The property is a HMO,  it's irrelevant who lets the property. However, as others have said, maybe you need to clarify whether or not the property needs to be licensed or requires planning permission. If that is what you want to know, you should contact the team that deal with HMO licensing and planning. (may fall under an Additional licensing scheme) If the Council are in control of the property or manage the property then although it is a HMO it would be exempt from licensing, but again, best to check with the HMO team.
    Schedule 14, Housing Act 2004 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards