What are some cost-saving tips for traveling to Dubai?

Options
2»

Comments

• diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi

I have family where some are jet setters.

Most expensive they say say during March and Sept as its very, very hot and hotels half the price - they told me this is proper to covid and things may have changed More expensive Sept to April but in April it may be cheaper than months before as well as October.

They also said some places are closed during the very hot weather not sure if they mean places to eat etc.

It is expensive compared to many place and if you have never been before 7/8 nights more than enough

Btw, never argue with the cops and watch the dress code on the beach and streets.

Thnaks
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Through this question, I am seeking suggestions on ways to reduce expenses while planning a trip to Dubai.
    This means that I am looking for information on how to make my trip to Dubai budget-friendly. Like finding affordable housing, transportation options, or activities to do in town?
    Are you going on holiday, or emigrating, or something in between?

Unanswered by OP, who's unlikely to return. Without a pressing reason to visit a bleak Islamic concrete jungle my advice would be to choose somewhere more interesting and less expensive.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suspect this is a question posed by a lecturer to his or her students, no one really goes to Dubai with the intention of saving money. I entirely agree with the view of eDicky as regards the destination but no doubt if I was an Instagram star or a Z-list 'celebrity' I would be on the first flight available. Alas, I don't fall into either category...
  • dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We went to Dubai a few years ago for 3 days on our way to South Africa and flew with Emirates.  We were told to retain our Boarding Cards as they would allow us a discount at several bars and restaurants (25% I think) and this worked really well, so if you're flying with Emirates, ask them if this still exists.

Also, I understand that Dubai has recently significantly reduced the tax on alcohol, so hopefully this will be more affordable anyway.

As others have said, we weren't impressed with the place but if I had to go back, I'd spend more time in the Marina area.  
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I went in 2021 and I'm going in May. I like the weather (I like it hot!). The beaches are lovely, especially if you keep away from the Jumereih area. Some of the less popular places like Bur Dubai are great for eating/staying. The Indian quarter for example has some fantastic Indian food which is very inexpensive (far cheaper than the UK).

La Mer beach is nice, plenty of space, places to eat, free wifi, clean air conditioned toilets and all free.

A desert trip is worth the effort as is a trip to the Mosque in Abu Dhabi and a couple of hours at the souks. Hire a car and get out of the city is another option.

Alcohol isn't as freely available as lots of other destinations so we tended not to drink that much. 

Five days is plenty and a week maximum I'd say.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 February 2023 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Have you a developed social media presence?  

The Dubai tourism authority runs a pretty legendary Media/Influencer incentive scheme that offers a hefty discount on flights/accommodation and with extra (smaller) discounts for using locally owned properties/businesses and other services. Plus a discretionary element that can go as high as 100% of costs for things like prompt publication and the profile/status of the publisher/re-publisher.

Get accredited with them and you'd be laughing..!  

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    My nephew's wife has a friend who works in hospitality in Dubai.  She went out to visit her, and as a treat the friend arranged one night in a very fancy hotel suite.  Cost, if she'd had to pay for it was nearly a thousand quid, room only!
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Only you can answer that and it depends what you want to do and how hot you like it. It’s 38-41 there this week which is reasonably warm. Personally I like it however some find it too hot. 

It’s usually cheaper around this time as it’s too hot for a lot of people. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback