What are some cost-saving tips for traveling to Dubai?

Options
Through this question, I am seeking suggestions on ways to reduce expenses while planning a trip to Dubai.
This means that I am looking for information on how to make my trip to Dubai budget-friendly. Like finding affordable housing, transportation options, or activities to do in town?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Through this question, I am seeking suggestions on ways to reduce expenses while planning a trip to Dubai.
    This means that I am looking for information on how to make my trip to Dubai budget-friendly. Like finding affordable housing, transportation options, or activities to do in town?
    Are you going on holiday, or emigrating, or something in between?

TripAdvisor destination-specific forums are usually worth a look:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g295424-i872-Dubai_Emirate_of_Dubai.html
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,417 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    johnathanmack said:
    activities to do in town?
    What attracts you to going to Dubai if you dont know what you want to do there?

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't drink alcohol

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It really depends what you're aiming to do there. My husband and I stopped over there on our way back from honeymoon (to the Maldives) ten years ago (a lifetime in terms of Dubai's development). We stayed in an Ibis that was £17/night - perfectly functional and near to restaurants/a short cab ride away from the shopping malls. But I think part of the experience of Dubai is probably staying in one of the fancy hotels - with the views, the swimming stuff and the aquariums etc. Would recommend the souks for a wander and the old-fashioned boat across the river was a bargain. Breakfast, if not included, can be grabbed cheaply in one of the malls - memorably we went to Waitrose and picked up pastries. We also spent quite a bit of time wandering around - but we're easily entertained - the 'pork room' in Waitrose was weird to us, although obviously in accordance with their laws. The old town was weirder though - it dates from the 1950s (looks much older) but was seemingly completely deserted. We aren't likely to return as we weren't that impressed, but I also think we perhaps missed out on some of the more relevant experiences - a desert trip being the main one. We did go up the Burj Khalifa and that was very impressive. Don't expect to find local cuisine though - we discovered that such things don't really exist (saw plenty of locals at the burger places in the shopping malls) - all the hotels have nice restaurants, but usually Thai, Chinese or other cuisines.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 January 2023 at 7:39PM
    Options
    if you show the cops when u land that u got some £2 co-codamol tablets in your bag, pretty sure u get free accomodation ! :D:D:D:D    :)
    Defo a way to do Dubai on a budget!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd want to do Dubai on a very limited budget.

My visit was almost 25 years ago, just as development was starting to take off and then it was still a cheap destination.  Lots of modern development, but still local options for food.

However lazing around pools, walking along beaches, wandering along the creek and souks are all free.

I called a friend today who I wasn't aware was in Dubai on business,  He was in the hotel bar for happy hour (actually 4 hours) and beer was £6 a pint rather than £12.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Options
    Use the metro system to get around. This assumes you are somewhere close to it in the first place. 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I haven't been to Dubai but certainly get the impression that the traveller on a budget isn't the market they are aiming at.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And £12 a pint they wont be tempting me :):):)
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Options
    Some deals to be had from hotels and restaurants offering fixed price brunch deals.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback