We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Weird bulbed grass/weed growing in garden

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    No, wild garlic has wider leaves than these look to be, 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • And wild garlic has a very distinct 'garlicky' smell ;)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Few flowered leek/garlic is sometimes called wild garlic as well as ransoms and has narrower leaves - but also has a very definite smell!

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • And wild garlic has a very distinct 'garlicky' smell ;)
    I've had a check just to see, taking out a bunch running it under warm water to remove the frost and bring out any smell, there's not much of a smell admittedly the bulbs are maybe too small to bring out a smell. 

Here's an additional frost free indoor shot:

I'm not completely convinced this is Muscari, but I could be completely wrong....
  • Wild garlic has a very definite smell, even when frost bitten.
  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My guess would be Allium triquetrum or three-cornered leek.  It's invasive enough for it to be an offence to allow it to spread into the wild.
  • Sapindus said:
    My guess would be Allium triquetrum or three-cornered leek.  It's invasive enough for it to be an offence to allow it to spread into the wild.
    I was literally about the suggest the same - and the stuff is a menace! 

OP - have a feel of the leaves - do they grow out of the bulb in an almost triangular shape? (hence the "three cornered" bit). It will spread rampantly, but as you've already found out, the bulbs are also fairly easy to pull up. What we've always done is to loosen the soil around them with a hand fork then pull them out in clumps - paying attention to try to make sure that all the bulbs are removed - and that makes a big difference done regularly. We've been working on getting rid of the stuff in a very small garden area for nearly 20 years and it only takes one year of taking your eye off the ball on it and you can be back almost to square one very fast. The plus point is that the flowers re extremely pretty though! 

We also have Grape hyacinths which do spread, but far more slowly, and I certainly wouldn't describe them as any sort of pest. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you only moved in within the year and have not seen it flowering, ask your neighbours?  If you have a moderately observant gardener either side, they may know what has been growing in the garden in the past.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,559 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would also say it's likely to be Muscari, looks identical in winter to what was growing and flowering in my Essex garden. I never did know its name until now.
    The leaves above the bulbs don't appear to have the triangular shape of Three-cornered Leek in the photo.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Just in case it needs saying...don't eat any bulbs until you are pretty sure you know what they are!   :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback