PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help with Concessionary Mortgage

Options
Has anyone every done a Concessionary Mortgage please.

Bit of info

Landlord has decided to sell the house we live in the house is worth 200k but he wants to sell it to us for 160k we have been told this would be classed as a Concessionary Mortgage. Iv missed 3 payments on 2 cats and 1 cred card (I had a baby and been in and out of hospital so.it completely slipped my mind yes stupid I no) I'm going to catch up with all payments this month when I get paid. But for the last 6 years or so we have never been late with any payments (don't think they would take that in to consideration tho)

Me and my husband have been to 2 mortgage brokers 1 said they don't deal with Concessionary Mortgage and passed us to someone else that does and they said they can't help us unless we had a 16k deposit as well (no way can we get hold of this) what else can we do?

The landlord is desperate to sell the house it's not on the market yet as he wants us to have it. We have started to look at rented houses but they are too expensive. I'm completely lost in what to do.

Any advice?
Been hiding under a rock for that last few years hoping it will go away but it doesn't now is the time for the rocket 🚀 I want to be no I need to be debt free Debt free #45 £5.50- £500 1p challenge £47.19 - £667.95 (Doing this in a random order). £5 a day Jan - total £103.37 (short but only way is up£5 a day Feb - total £19.13. Debt free by march 2025 (if pay mins)

Comments

• theartfullodger
    Options
    Try some other brokers AFTER you have paid off any outstanding missed payments.

Suspect HMRC will assess sale (for landlord, who will likely be liable for CGT - capital gains tax) at market value, £200k. They have the power to do so ...
  • JM68
    JM68 Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I assume you were advised you need to find 16k to be able to get a 90% LTV mortgage for a 160k purchase.

Not sure that is the only option.  In theory the discount to market value could be treated as the deposit.  

This link seems to suggest that.

https://www.habito.com/hub/article/what-is-a-concessionary-purchase-mortgage

But even if you pass credit checks and you don't need an additional cash deposit the bottom line is that you will still need to be able to qualify for the mortgage you will need i.e. have enough income.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Maybe you could google  Concessionary Purchase Mortgage. Quite a few brokers seem to turn up in the list - you could give a few of them a call.

As mentioned in your previous thread, Nationwide offer concessionary purchase mortgages, for example.  Did your broker mention why Nationwide wasn't an option suitable for you?

Similarly TSB offer them: https://intermediary.tsb.co.uk/criteria/residential-criteria/concessionary-purchase/

It could be that the broker thinks your credit record isn't good enough for those lenders, or your income isn't high enough - but it would be good for you to know the specific reasons.

Concessionary Purchase/Genuine Bargain Price

Concessionary Purchase/Genuine Bargain Price is where the property is knowingly being purchased by your client below the market value. The purchase can't be part of a recognised scheme such as Right to Buy or Shared Ownership.

Acceptable scenarios
    • Private tenant buying from their landlord

Lending terms

• The discount must be a gift, not a loan, and there must be no conditions attached to it.
    • A deposit is not required unless the loan exceeds our maximum LTV.
    • LTV is calculated using the open market value with a maximum of 90%

Link: https://www.nationwide-intermediary.co.uk/lending-criteria/purchase-types

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    @ACG deals with adverse
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    eddddy said:

Maybe you could google  Concessionary Purchase Mortgage. Quite a few brokers seem to turn up in the list - you could give a few of them a call.

As mentioned in your previous thread, Nationwide offer concessionary purchase mortgages, for example.  Did your broker mention why Nationwide wasn't an option suitable for you?

Similarly TSB offer them: https://intermediary.tsb.co.uk/criteria/residential-criteria/concessionary-purchase/

It could be that the broker thinks your credit record isn't good enough for those lenders, or your income isn't high enough - but it would be good for you to know the specific reasons.

Concessionary Purchase/Genuine Bargain Price

Concessionary Purchase/Genuine Bargain Price is where the property is knowingly being purchased by your client below the market value. The purchase can't be part of a recognised scheme such as Right to Buy or Shared Ownership.

Acceptable scenarios
    • Private tenant buying from their landlord

Lending terms

• The discount must be a gift, not a loan, and there must be no conditions attached to it.
    • A deposit is not required unless the loan exceeds our maximum LTV.
    • LTV is calculated using the open market value with a maximum of 90%

Link: https://www.nationwide-intermediary.co.uk/lending-criteria/purchase-types

Concessionary purchase is just one issue. 
    The other is the arrears. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Tricky one this as the adverse is minor, I think everyone has a late payment or 2 on their credit report, the issue is that yours are current and even next month will still be showing as in arrears as it can take a few weeks to show as being updated. 

Assuming you are not putting any deposit down yourself, trying to combine no deposit and adverse is quite a tough mix. 

Its one of those where I think your chances are quite slim at the minute despite the adverse being minor due to it being ongoing/very very recent but it might be worth a punt as you have nothing to lose. 

I have never known a landlord to knock £40k off the purchase price. £5-10k to avoid paying agents and any void period maybe, but £40k is 20%, thats a lot. Is there any other link to the landlord? 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • olaf2014
    olaf2014 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    He just wants a quick sale and due to us being in the house 6 years.

Quick update spoke to landlord today he said he's going to start speaking to a landlord agency but still wants to give us first refusal. He said someone could buy it and do a bit to let with us but I'm unsure what that is or how to do it.

Ivan just see this opportunity slipping from us and nothing we can do about it we have tried 3 mortgage brokers what else can we do. 
    Been hiding under a rock for that last few years hoping it will go away but it doesn't now is the time for the rocket 🚀 I want to be no I need to be debt free Debt free #45 £5.50- £500 1p challenge £47.19 - £667.95 (Doing this in a random order). £5 a day Jan - total £103.37 (short but only way is up£5 a day Feb - total £19.13. Debt free by march 2025 (if pay mins)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback