Switching from Lebara -> Lycamobile

Options
I can request a PAC code from Lebara, and then port my number, but Lebara say I have £10 credit with them.  I'm unsure how this came about because I signed up to the £5/month MSE offer some time ago and don't remember paying an extra £5 to start the process off, and their records don't seem to go back that far.  Lebara don't seem to have a contract, so I just disabled auto-renew.  Does that mean my SIM is now effectively pay-as-you-go? 
I've already ordered the new Lycamobile SIM but haven't used it yet.  I'm just wondering if I can suspend this somehow until the credit runs out on my Lebara account.  I read somewhere you can suspend an account with Lebara, but unsure if it's possible with Lycamobile.  I clearly have a lot to learn about switching SIMs, so thanks for any advice about this!

Comments

• Vorpex
    Options
    I'd suggest that you bin the Lyca sim and stay with Lebara. It's not possible to suspend an account with Lycamobile. I had an unpleasant experience with them.
  • Sodeska
    Sodeska Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went for the MSE Lycamobile offer 1p for 6 months and £4.75 thereafter for 3GB data. Order placed 22April 2023. SIM got as far as Evri then stalled, eventually arriving 5 May after I'd spent hours trying to find out if  they (Lyca) were sending it.  But they don't seem to recognise the offer. Spent several hours with several 'live agents' frequently being cut off. Last one told me two days ago it would take 24 hours to sort out. Why? MSE are running the same offer this May. So inclined to take other forumite advice and ditch the SIM.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I wonder if the sim has been cancelled as lost in transit? Don't hold your breath about your 1p being refunded though.
  • datz
    datz Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 May 2023 at 3:49AM
    Options
    Sodeska said:
    I went for the MSE Lycamobile offer 1p for 6 months and £4.75 thereafter for 3GB data. Order placed 22April 2023. SIM got as far as Evri then stalled, eventually arriving 5 May after I'd spent hours trying to find out if  they (Lyca) were sending it.  But they don't seem to recognise the offer. Spent several hours with several 'live agents' frequently being cut off. Last one told me two days ago it would take 24 hours to sort out. Why? MSE are running the same offer this May. So inclined to take other forumite advice and ditch the SIM.

What could possibly go wrong when combining Lyca and Hermes (sorry, Evri)...

At 1p, I probably wouldn't waste my time chasing anything - unless you had already ported your number. For me, Lyca has its own pennies/month spending limit virtual card on Revolut so they can never overcharge or charge the increased amount. For the record, I do use Lyca 1p SIMs on several of my devices, but my expectations have always been set very low (and I only ever use them in a dual SIM capactity, never porting my number over, and discarding before the higher rate kicks in).

• BadDebtor
    BadDebtor Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vorpex said:
    I'd suggest that you bin the Lyca sim and stay with Lebara. It's not possible to suspend an account with Lycamobile. I had an unpleasant experience with them.
    It is a one month contract why bother to suspend. You can just end it and start over.

Do share about your unpleasant experience
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure