Assessed charge.

I am with United  Utilities  with my water. I reside in a one bedroom flat. I am not allowed a water meter. Can I get a assessed charge. I live on my own.  Can anyone please respond to this question please?


  • freesha
    freesha Posts: 341
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Not allowed? Says who? If the water company - then yes you can have an assessed charged.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

    What do you mean by 'not allowed a water meter'?

    It is only if a water meter cannot be fitted by the water company, will you be allowed an assessed charge. This often happens in flats as it is impractical to fit a meter.

    However if the flat is rented and the landlord simply doesn't want a meter - then you will not offered an assessed charge. 
  • macman
    macman Posts: 52,955
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Putting a 'no meter change' clause in a TA may not be enforceable: the OP needs to clarify the situation. 
    If a meter cannot be physically fitted, then, even if the LL has 'banned' it (though why would they?), the OP should apply anyway and can then go to assessed billing.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards