standing charges

Options
why is it that the less energy i use the more i get charged. i have been using as little energy as possible, like most people these days money is hard to keep hold of. i did my sums and found if i add my standing charges to my gas usage it came to x amount of pounds, if i then divided x by the amount of kWh used i was paying 16.21pence per kWh the government and british gas claim 10.3pence per kWh, I am paying 50% more because i am trying not to use gas, electric is the same 52pence per kWh 20% increase So if you can afford it then use as much as you can it will be cheaper. yours very frustrated

Comments

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,885 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jozpato said:
    why is it that the less energy i use the more i get charged. i have been using as little energy as possible, like most people these days money is hard to keep hold of. i did my sums and found if i add my standing charges to my gas usage it came to x amount of pounds, if i then divided x by the amount of kWh used i was paying 16.21pence per kWh the government and british gas claim 10.3pence per kWh, I am paying 50% more because i am trying not to use gas, electric is the same 52pence per kWh 20% increase So if you can afford it then use as much as you can it will be cheaper. yours very frustrated
    None of that makes any sense!

Standing charges have nothing to do with the price of kWh price of Gas or Electricity.

Its like adding the cost of Vehicle Tax Rates to the cost of Petrol of Diesel!
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It seems on this board that standing charges are a good thing but i also see it as a dis incentive to cutting back.
  • BUFF
    BUFF Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Not necessarily a good thing but on balance the least bad for most people.
    The distribution systems (& other obligations) need to be paid for somehow & this is the system that we have.
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Because i have solar panels and use no gas at all from april to october my bills during those months are around 60% standing charges.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The standing charges don't cover the use of actual gas / electricity  - they cover the cost of maintaining the infrastructure that delivers the gas and electricity and is shared by everybody who uses the infrastructure regardless of how much or how little they use.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Options
    Krakkkers said:
    It seems on this board that standing charges are a good thing but i also see it as a dis incentive to cutting back.
    You are so right. I'm a low user too. If energy companies can't get you one way they will get you another
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Krakkkers said:
    Because i have solar panels and use no gas at all from april to october my bills during those months are around 60% standing charges.
    At current prices, that is my position all year round. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    Options
    MikeJXE said:
    Krakkkers said:
    You are so right. I'm a low user too. If energy companies can't get you one way they will get you another
    It's not about "getting you" - It's about paying for the infrastructure that enables you to switch a switch and alight comes on - if you don't pay standing charges - how do you think money will be available to maintain the pylons and carry out repairs to all the cables etc?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback