Talk talk billing me for contract

So I had been a talktalk customer for nearly ten years. Not too many problems, so when we moved, I saw no reason to change. I put forward a move request and I was told my service at the old place would cease on Nov 1st and the new service would start in the new place on Nov 3rd. Even had a new phone number. E mails from open reach..live on the third...nothing. but I was told it can take a while so I waited. Nov 4th from open reach... has it all gone to plan??...no..have you checked this??..yes..have you used the correct cables sent to you??..no cables were sent..I used my old ones...well it looks fine to us, you need to contact talktalk. Called on Nov 5th, Saturday. Got transferred,.got cut off, no one could help, didn't seem to be getting anywhere...a lot of language difficulty... finally announced to them I was done with talk talk and hung up after a long time on the phone. Called sky..arranged with them to join...great service, nice people and the last thing I said to them was " do I now have to contact talktalk and formally leave"??..no sir, we take care of that for you. Well...there was a problem with the line because we didn't actually get connected till Dec 19th. Meanwhile talktalk are claiming I was in breach of contract and I owe them about £220...I want to counterclaim that they are in breach because they didn't supply internet or landline plus I spent close to two frustrating hours being passed around on the phone and I needed to buy a lot of extra data for my phone....any advice from anyone would be welcome.

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You entered into a minimum term contract and then almost immediately cancelled it, so you are being charged early termination charges. You needed to give TT an opportunity to resolve the problem.
  • Initially that is what I thought. But...it was a good month before I had any access to internet or landline and I will pursue it with sky as the last thing I said to sky was " should I cancel it all with talk talk??" ...no we will take care of it for you..I think I need to play it all out in a long letter again to talk talk..
  • SuzeQStan
    SuzeQStan Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Good luck - TT are great until you have a problem (we were with them 18 years + a house move with no issues aside from a 2x week wait they had prepared us for)

once you have a problem they are the slipperiest worst ISP I’ve ever had the misfortune to encounter. 

Aware you didn’t opt out within the cooling off period - but broadband to me is as vital as water or power so I don’t blame you for going elsewhere. 1.5 months waiting on connection is poor service. 

Problem is it sounds like you didn’t give them much time to sort out the issue - and you do have a contract with them.  The terms will be stated on your contract and you will likely have to pay the remainder of that contract to get out.

unless they are willing to negotiate - can’t hurt to try but speaking to someone who can actually do something for you are TT is very unlikely they are useless.

Lancashire
    PV 5.04kWp 
    🐙 Go

Mortgage freedom January 2024 - paid off 7 years early by making overpayments where we could.

• Yes, useless as anything...the only thing on my side is that they called me to try and disuade  me from leaving...I am going to Search my phone records to see if that was within the twenty days cooling off period..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback