Electric keeps tripping - possibly found source

Options

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Any sockets or cables outside that could have got rain ingress?
  • Lorian
    Options
    Also if it tripping frequently you can speed up investigation a bit by switching the circuits all off on the board and turn them on just one at a time till you find which ring/radial has the issue. There is one slight drawback in this approach if it's several devices compounding to trip it.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Lorian said:
    Also if it tripping frequently you can speed up investigation a bit by switching the circuits all off on the board and turn them on just one at a time till you find which ring/radial has the issue. There is one slight drawback in this approach if it's several devices compounding to trip it.
    It’s only one RCD that is tripping. Unfortunately it is the one that serves most of the house!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Lorian
    edited 15 January 2023 at 11:54PM
    Options
    Yes but you can still turn the rings/radials off to prove which one the problem is on. Some circuits won't be on the RCD like the lighting so you can ignore them.

And any outside sockets? They would need checking for water.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I once had the RCD trip on the ring main for the whole house, even with nothing plugged in. It was a very low resistance between neutral and earth. Took me hours to find it, but eventually got both ends of a cable between two sockets disconnected with an almost short on it. It ran under a concrete floor, so had to be replaced by one using an alternative route. Never found out what caused the problem, but thought that maybe mice had somehow got in there and chewed the cable. 

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Would be worth turning everything off overnight (even fridge freezer - it will be fine with the door shut) to test if it might be the wiring and not something plugged in after all.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • FFHillbilly
    Options
    silvercar said:
    Lorian said:
    It’s only one RCD that is tripping. Unfortunately it is the one that serves most of the house!
    how many circuits on the RCD? what type of consumer unit is it? 
  • silvercar
    Options
    Lorian said:
    Yes but you can still turn the rings/radials off to prove which one the problem is on. Some circuits won't be on the RCD like the lighting so you can ignore them.

Maybe I’m describing it wrong.

The board has two halves, lights one side and everything else on the other. One of the flippy switches on the “other side” flips. It’s the one that guards most of the ground floor electrics.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 January 2023 at 8:57AM
    Options
    silvercar said:
    Lorian said:

Maybe I’m describing it wrong.

The board has two halves, lights one side and everything else on the other. One of the flippy switches on the “other side” flips. It’s the one that guards most of the ground floor electrics.
    Unfortunately, they are all flippy switches, so it is not clear whether it’s an mcb or rcd that is tripping.  A photo would be nice, but it sounds like your consumer unit has lots of mcbs but only two RCDs.  

So, is it one of the two RCDs that is tripping?

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • silvercar
    Options

Gone again! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback