Paid amount of claim form in full. Need advice

Hi! I can't seem to find the answer to this elsewhere.

I recently received a claim form for about £100 that I owe. Since it's not a huge amount, I just decided to pay it in full to avoid it becoming a CCJ. I called the solicitor and paid the amount and asked if I still had to fill out the claim form and they said no, and that they would let the court know it's been paid and this will stop the proceedings. Does anyone know if this is true?

A friend of mine similarly paid off £300 when he was sent a claim form back in November. The solicitors emailed him saying they'd let the court know and he did nothing with the claim form and he hasn't received a CCJ or any letters since but I'm worried that if I do nothing after having paid the amount that the court won't know and it will still go ahead. Any advice is helpful please! Thanks.


    3.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Surely if it ever did go to court, then you'd provide a copy of the payment receipt and defend it on the basis that it has already been paid? If you're really worried, I'd ask for written confirmation that the payment has been received, the debt has been settled, and that no further enforcement action will be taken.
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you have received a claim form, its absolutely imperative that you complete and return it, otherwise its quite likely you will end up with a CCJ.

    Never take the word of a solicitor that they will do something for nothing, they won`t.

    Defend the claim on the basis no debt exists as you have settled it prior to the matter being heard.

    That way you cover yourself.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

    More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, I agree with sourcrates, above.

    I would also never rely on anything that happened to a friend. Their experiences will never be the same as yours, however well-intentioned their advice may be. (Same goes for us on this forum, I guess!)

    You will have peace of mind if you just follow the right procedures. (And don't rely on solicitors to do everything they say they will because at the end of the day, it's your name on that claim, not theirs - and so it's your responsibility to ensure that it's returned, completed.)

    I think you already knew what the best thing to do was and just needed some encouragement.

    So I hope this helps.  
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools