Booking.com ignoring me

Options
Hi, I had a nightmare experience with booking.com in December which resulted in me having to book a room for £500 more. 
They promised to pay me back but everytime I email them they ask me the same questions which I reply to. 
I can’t talk to anyone who knows what they are doing and don’t know what to do next 
I am struggling financially and this amount is huge to me. 
Please can anyone help me find who I can speak to? 
Thanks 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Did you pay by credit card or debit card (Visa or Mastercard)? If so then use Chargeback, as long as you can prove you have tried to contact Booking.com. If necessary, send Booking.com an email so you have written proof.
  • jodavies
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestion. Unfortunately it was a debit card as I didn’t have my credit card with me  :(
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chargebacks are available for debit card transactions that are unfulfilled, if that was the case.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    who is at fault?

Booking.com

or the hotel you originally booked with?
  • jodavies
    jodavies Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn’t know that was the case for debit card. 

The fault was booking.com but they are saying it was the hotel. 

Booking.com have stated they would pay for the alternative accommodation but now I’m trying to claim that money back no one will give me a sensible reply 
  • onashoestring
    Options
    jodavies said:
    I didn’t know that was the case for debit card. 

The fault was booking.com but they are saying it was the hotel. 

Booking.com have stated they would pay for the alternative accommodation but now I’m trying to claim that money back no one will give me a sensible reply 
    Did you also book the alternative accommodation through booking.com?

If there is a problem with your booking  and you contacted booking.com at the time they usual offer to assist you in finding alternative accommodation through booking.com at no extra cost to yourself . 

If there was nothing available through booking.com and they authorised you to make your own arrangements , have you kept the e-mails or screenshots of your conversations with booking.com. 
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think we are missing the details to allow us to determine where the issue was, where fault lays and if a chargeback would indeed be the route to take and have success.

• jodavies
    jodavies Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Booking.com had another hotel in london (20 mins in Uber) but it was £500 (my room was only £80) I booked this one the site. 
    They verbally agreed to cover the cost but I had to pay for it upfront and claim it back. I have this in email and a recording. 
    Since then I have been sending emails and using the app to contact customer support. They keep asking the same questions, for the reservation number, the invoice, booking confirmation etc. No one has answered my letter or email with any clarity or information on the steps I need to take to claim the money back. 
    It’s like they are hoping I will get frustrated with the repetitive responses and give up.
    Thanks for your replies 🤗
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What happened that you did not stat at the £80 one?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Was it a situation where you turned up on the day at the originally booked (£80) hotel and you were told there was no room, you were overbooked?  If so what was said at the original hotel?

If overbooked at the original hotel did you then call booking.com but they were unable to find an alternative and then asked you to find your own?  Did they give you a suggested budget to go up to without you then having to seek approval from them again on the cost?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback