Am I entitled to anything if living with a student?

Options
2»

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agree with Poppy, due to earnings of £25k, there will be zero entitlement to UC or any other benefits.

Find it legally questionable that any educational establishment can by contract state that a student cannot be in any paid employment.  Or is it not the University or College that has stated this in a contract, but an organisation that is sponsoring the PHD ?

If people in a household like this are struggling with finances, then they should contact their local Council authority to see what they have available, as central Government have provided Councils with funds to help with cost of living issues.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The only definite thing I can suggest is the ctax discount. 
    Your wife’s student union may be able to advise of anything the uni can offer and I’d second the suggestion to check with your local council who may be able to help with household support fund money. It varies by council. 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,075 /£3,600

• NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 January 2023 at 3:33PM
    Options
    cfaw said:
    Not you but the student - what stage of their PhD are they at and are they getting any grants, support, paid teaching work...? 
    Shes at the very end of her PhD now. It was part of their 'contract' that they actually dont work whilst carrying out the PhD as its the full time option and not over so many years 'part-time' so to speak.
    The normal scenario for PhD study is that it's considered a full time 3 year 'course' and that a bursary payment is usually made (tax free) to cover living costs. If the institution or sponsoring partner wish to place conditions on those payments, I guess they are free to do so (my employer requires me to seek permission before taking a second job).
    However, it sounds like the 3 year period of study (and payments) maybe ended last Sept (PhD's normally run by academic years), and that she is now writing up, maybe? Some people manage to write up and submit within the 3 year period, whereas others write up and submit after the end of the 3 year study period.
    Anyway, if she is no longer receiving payment, then any contractual restrictions have now ended and she is free to get a job to support herself whilst writing up. Either way, it sounds like your earnings will take you over the threshold of being able to claim any means-tested benefits (UC).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback