Reverse osmosis filter system supply & fit in UK?

Options
13»

Comments

• Jjah
    Jjah Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Apodemus said:
    Jjah said:
    @Apodemus
    A gram or 2 of himalayan salt is only a few pence.

Of course, humble sea salt is an option that cannot be much improved upon as it is the electrolyte the earth chooses itself for its oceans.

Thanks so much for the link to the water quality areas of scotland.  Thats awesome!

Im considering Girvan as it is has coastal walks one side and views of the hills on the other (and property is not too eyewateringly expensive)

(I do worry about rising sealevels though in the next 50 years so might choose something more inland as I want my son to be able to remain in the same home after Im gone..   https://coastal.climatecentral.org/map/12/-4.8372/55.2412/?theme=sea_level_rise&map_type=year&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&forecast_year=2090&pathway=ssp3rcp70&percentile=p95&refresh=true&return_level=return_level_1&rl_model=gtsr&slr_model=ipcc_2021_med)
    A distinctive feature of many places on the Clyde coast, including around Grivan, is the "raised beach".  This is a previous coastline, back when sea levels locally were last at a much higher level than now.  Technically, it was really that the land was at a lower level relative to the sea - once the weight of ice was removed at the end of the ice age, the land rebounded.  I think I'd want to be above that former shoreline rather than below it!

That is extremely interesting!!!!! I would like to learn more about that, it has really piqued my interest.

What are your favourite parts of Scotland? 

Incidentally, my Dad was born in East Calder along Main Road as you come out of Edinburgh (I keep meaning to see that area but havent done so yet).
    Love the planet.  Eat plants.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jjah said:
    Apodemus said:
    Jjah said:
    @Apodemus

Of course, humble sea salt is an option that cannot be much improved upon as it is the electrolyte the earth chooses itself for its oceans.

Thanks so much for the link to the water quality areas of scotland.  Thats awesome!

Im considering Girvan as it is has coastal walks one side and views of the hills on the other (and property is not too eyewateringly expensive)

(I do worry about rising sealevels though in the next 50 years so might choose something more inland as I want my son to be able to remain in the same home after Im gone..   https://coastal.climatecentral.org/map/12/-4.8372/55.2412/?theme=sea_level_rise&map_type=year&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&forecast_year=2090&pathway=ssp3rcp70&percentile=p95&refresh=true&return_level=return_level_1&rl_model=gtsr&slr_model=ipcc_2021_med)
    A distinctive feature of many places on the Clyde coast, including around Grivan, is the "raised beach".  This is a previous coastline, back when sea levels locally were last at a much higher level than now.  Technically, it was really that the land was at a lower level relative to the sea - once the weight of ice was removed at the end of the ice age, the land rebounded.  I think I'd want to be above that former shoreline rather than below it!

Too many to list!  While I live in the Highlands, there are many fantastic places in the rest of Scotland.   

For your desired mix of mountain, sea and forest, you really can't beat Argyll although I would suggest you also consider the Moray coast as it is drier than the west and much less midgy (also less in demand, so property prices are more reasonable.
  • Jjah
    Options
    Apodemus said:
    Jjah said:
    Apodemus said:
    Jjah said:
    @Apodemus

Too many to list!  While I live in the Highlands, there are many fantastic places in the rest of Scotland.   

For your desired mix of mountain, sea and forest, you really can't beat Argyll although I would suggest you also consider the Moray coast as it is drier than the west and much less midgy (also less in demand, so property prices are more reasonable.
    Sooo much to research now! Thank you so much :)
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 January 2023 at 5:43PM
    Options
    Apodemus said:
    Jjah said:
    Apodemus said:
    Jjah said:
    @Apodemus

If I was starting out again the Orkney Islands would get my vote, great environment and lifestyle. Where else can you see house's older than the pyramids.
  • _Sam_
    _Sam_ Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 January 2023 at 11:39PM
    Options
    Jjah said:

Thats an incredible reply.  Very very helpful, thank you.

May I ask if you have a link to a similar device and would any plumber be able to fit? I am ok with DIY but I draw the line at plumbing :-)

No problem here is an example of a 3 stage unit similar to the one we have: https://www.osmotics.co.uk/3-stage-50-gallon-per-day-reverse-osmosis-system.html

It is called a "classic" unit and you can look around I think there are now some modern models about too. 

The classic units are of a very simple construction though, couple of screws and the rest is push and fit, every single part is immediately replaceable (not that it's likely to be necessary, ours is working like a clock we only replaced the tubing few times just to refresh the unit). If you have a look on the same website "Parts and accessories" they have necessary bits to plumb the unit in.

Just to note this is a trickle filter, it won't be like opening the tap and filling up a kettle with filtered water (hence long tube and bottles!) If you want it to be like opening the tap, you can add a "pressure tank kit" like this one: https://www.osmotics.co.uk/drinking-water-pressure-tank-kit.html

This video explains how to plumb the pressure tank kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLZ_40zxSIo 
    Gas: warm air central heating, separate instant water heater, Octopus tracker
    Electricity: about 3kw south facing solar array, EV, Octopus intelligent, thinking about getting a battery...
  • Jjah
    Options
    @_Sam_ n you are amazing.  Thank you so much :)
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Might be easier to check what your water actually contains before embarking on the RO stages. 
    For drinking water you can get away with Pre and Post carbon block, sediment filter and RO membrane. If you are after metal ions, it will become expensive to buy the resins needed for these. 
    Whatever you decide, make sure you get an RO system with booster pump. If you are considering it for drinking water, having one of the RO storage tank along with high and low pressure switch will make your life easier. 

Have been using RO water for a long time and also used to keep 🐟
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback