Reverse osmosis filter system supply & fit in UK?

Options

Comments

• Jjah
    Jjah Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    _Sam_ said:
    P.S. if you are lucky to live in some parts of Scotland, you might not need RO filter as their ordinary tap water can have TDS as low as 20. Compared to over 500 in places like Norfolk!  

You could just get a TDS meter they are inexpensive and test. And you can also ask your water supplier for the water quality report.
    I adore scotland.  Is there a graph/site that gives more information on water quality for Scotland?

Girvan, Scotland is a location on my possible next home.  I want to settle somewhere with a better quality of life if possible.  

As long as it is a short drive from hills/coast/woodland or similar for dog walking and hikes, I will be content, even if the property was much smaller than my current home :-:smiley:
    Love the planet.  Eat plants.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    _Sam_ said:
    No, only drain when replacing the filters (primary and carbon every 6 months, and the RO membrane about once a year but it can last longer depending on how much water is produced)

Not really even thought about bacteria, as I said we've been using the same old RO unit for years now and everyone's still alive. However the unit is in use pretty regularly - at least once a week we do a water change for the fish and that's 50 litres of water to be produced, then whatever we need to replenish the bottles for drinking and cooking. 
    _Sam_ said:
    P.S. if you are lucky to live in some parts of Scotland, you might not need RO filter as their ordinary tap water can have TDS as low as 20. Compared to over 500 in places like Norfolk!  

You could just get a TDS meter they are inexpensive and test. And you can also ask your water supplier for the water quality report.
    Great posts, simple to understand and great info.
    Thanks
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    Options
    _Sam_ said:
    No, only drain when replacing the filters (primary and carbon every 6 months, and the RO membrane about once a year but it can last longer depending on how much water is produced)

Not really even thought about bacteria, as I said we've been using the same old RO unit for years now and everyone's still alive. However the unit is in use pretty regularly - at least once a week we do a water change for the fish and that's 50 litres of water to be produced, then whatever we need to replenish the bottles for drinking and cooking. 
    I would do some reading up on bacterial growth in water systems where the water is being stored for any period of time.

The reason for chemicals being added to the public water supply in the UK is, in part, to inhibit the growth of micro organisms in the supply system.  If the water is treated to remove that protective effect, it is possible for potentially harmful levels of pathogens to develop.

In other words, the water on the output side of the RO unit won't inhibit the growth of pathogens in the same way that 'mains' water does.  If the water is left standing for days at a time that could pose a significant risk to health.

Personally I wouldn't drink 'filtered' water without being confident that the process wasn't doing more harm than good, and that the manufacturer's instructions were being strictly followed.  I'd also only drink the water when freshly 'filtered', and never filtered water which had been standing for hours/days post-treatment.

If you run the RO unit to produce 50l for the fish tank, and only then use it for potable water, you are hopefully minimising the risk.  However, drinking the water which has sat in the unit and pipe for a week would be something I'd avoid at all costs.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jjah said:
    _Sam_ said:

I adore scotland.  Is there a graph/site that gives more information on water quality for Scotland?

Girvan, Scotland is a location on my possible next home.  I want to settle somewhere with a better quality of life if possible.  

The Drinking Water Quality Regulator for Scotland has a postcode search facility that allows you to check on local sampling results for the previous year: https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/en/Your-Home/Your-Water/Water-Quality/Water-Quality

Each to their own, but given the range of really great places in Scotland to live, Girvan wouldn't be top of my list...
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    Options
    Apodemus said:
    Jjah said:
    _Sam_ said:

Each to their own, but given the range of really great places in Scotland to live, Girvan wouldn't be top of my list...
    I think I'd need to factor in living with all that granite everywhere.

But truly fantastic places and incredible countryside.
  • Apodemus
    Options
    Section62 said:
    Apodemus said:
    Jjah said:
    _Sam_ said:

I think I'd need to factor in living with all that granite everywhere.

Quite so!   But we have a drafty subfloor, (and about 30m of glacial till below that) so no worries here!
  • Jjah
    edited 5 January 2023 at 3:38PM
    Options
    @Apodemus
    A gram or 2 of himalayan salt is only a few pence.

Of course, humble sea salt is an option that cannot be much improved upon as it is the electrolyte the earth chooses itself for its oceans.

Thanks so much for the link to the water quality areas of scotland.  Thats awesome!

Im considering Girvan as it is has coastal walks one side and views of the hills on the other (and property is not too eyewateringly expensive)

(I do worry about rising sealevels though in the next 50 years so might choose something more inland as I want my son to be able to remain in the same home after Im gone..   https://coastal.climatecentral.org/map/12/-4.8372/55.2412/?theme=sea_level_rise&map_type=year&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&forecast_year=2090&pathway=ssp3rcp70&percentile=p95&refresh=true&return_level=return_level_1&rl_model=gtsr&slr_model=ipcc_2021_med)
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2023 at 3:34PM
    Options
    Jjah said:
    _Sam_ said:

Alan Titchmarsh made a programme about whisky and how the different rock formations had an affect on the water and how that led to different taste from area to area. It was one of the most informative programmes I have seen on the subject and I got the feeling he had a good time making it.
  • Jjah
    Options
    Eldi_Dos said:
    Jjah said:
    _Sam_ said:

Alan Titchmarsh made a programme about whisky and how the different rock formations had an affect on the water and how that led to different taste from area to area. It was one of the most informative programmes I have seen on the subject and I got the feeling he had a good time making it.
    Amazeballs!!!!!! There is a lot to be said for natural minerals.  
    I love barefoot walking and my favourite (other than coastal walks) is gritstone trail hiking.

Gritstone is high in quartz which amplifies energy so those free electrons you get when barefoot walking on this giant planetary magnet that we call home are really optimal and I find I tire less on those hikes.  

Lucky Alan being PAID to host such a programme!!!! :-)
  • Apodemus
    edited 5 January 2023 at 4:14PM
    Options
    Jjah said:
    @Apodemus
    A gram or 2 of himalayan salt is only a few pence.

Of course, humble sea salt is an option that cannot be much improved upon as it is the electrolyte the earth chooses itself for its oceans.

Thanks so much for the link to the water quality areas of scotland.  Thats awesome!

Im considering Girvan as it is has coastal walks one side and views of the hills on the other (and property is not too eyewateringly expensive)

(I do worry about rising sealevels though in the next 50 years so might choose something more inland as I want my son to be able to remain in the same home after Im gone..   https://coastal.climatecentral.org/map/12/-4.8372/55.2412/?theme=sea_level_rise&map_type=year&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&forecast_year=2090&pathway=ssp3rcp70&percentile=p95&refresh=true&return_level=return_level_1&rl_model=gtsr&slr_model=ipcc_2021_med)
    A distinctive feature of many places on the Clyde coast, including around Girvan, is the "raised beach".  This is a previous coastline, back when sea levels locally were last at a much higher level than now.  Technically, it was really that the land was at a lower level relative to the sea - once the weight of ice was removed at the end of the ice age, the land rebounded.  I think I'd want to be above that former shoreline rather than below it!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback