Water surface charges

Hi I used to bee charged surface water charges. Thisfor rain fall, however these wher council flats and I was in the 3rd floor flat. Why should all 3 tennents be charged for the same rain fall? We should only be charged for 1/3 of the rain fall.

Comments

• Hi I used to bee charged surface water charges. Thisfor rain fall, however these wher council flats and I was in the 3rd floor flat. Why should all 3 tennents be charged for the same rain fall? We should only be charged for 1/3 of the rain fall.
    I get where you are coming from but surface water charges have historically been charged for each property. Clearly, your block of flats has a much bigger roof that would be the case for a detached property. How would you apportion the cost for those living on the ground floor of a large apartment block? Moreover, surface water charges cover more than just what off your roof:

• PaulDesmond
    PaulDesmond Posts: 182
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 3 January 2023 at 8:38AM
    The roof space is no bigger. the area of the flat is the same as it would be if it is a stand alone flat. The surface charge is the same for all properties in north yorkshire. They do not diferenciate between someones houe or a block of flats.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Your point is absolutely valid - you could live in a 75 storey apartment block(there is one in London.)

However the whole issue of Surface Water Drainage(SWD) charges in UK is a farce. Charges can be based on Rateable Value, or a fixed charge by type of building - terraced/semi/detached. The charge has no relevance to the amount of water that enters the drainage system.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback