Giving Up/Cutting Down Alcohol Thread part 18

cathybird
cathybird Posts: 12,950
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
Forumite
edited 1 January 2023 at 6:40PM in Debt free diaries

Welcome!! Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.  
Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's original post on February 24th 2008 in Part 1:

In Search Of Me
There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!

For me alc & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!

Anyway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are struggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much happier and in control when I don't drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not to and hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do!

Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!

And here's what she started!!!
Part 17 is HERE
Part 16 is HERE
Part 14 and 15 is HERE
Part 13 is HERE 
Part 12 is HERE
Part 11 is HERE
Part 10 is HERE
Part 9 is HERE
Part 8 is HERE
Part 7 is HERE
Part 6 is HERE
Part 5 is HERE
Part 4 is HERE
Part 3 is HERE
Part 2 is HERE
and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.
Springwatch Girl
Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"
How it works: If there's anyone out there thinking of joining, you'd be most welcome to do so This thread has now been running for 15 years this year. There's a monthly challenge and an annual challenge - most start with the monthly challenge but feel free to join both! It's pretty simple, just post a target for the number of days you want to stay alcohol-free. If you haven't tried to cut down before (or even if you have), it's probably better to set a lower target to begin with, say 10 days? The challenge rewards people with emojis once they reach a certain number of AFDs (7 days, 14 days and so forth). The emojis are surprisingly motivating and the secret to why this challenge has helped so many people in the past 15 years. We're a friendly lot and we would love to have you around! All welcome

Good luck everyone! xxx 

2021 D: 93 2020 D: 96 2022 D: 15

Comments

• cathybird
    Forumite
    edited 1 January 2023 at 12:49PM
    January

7 days = image 14 days = image 21 days = image 28 days = image Target reached = image Target beaten = image
    Entire month = image
    January targets
    AllNightDiner 11 alt80 TF Arkers TF cathybird 21 Coveredinbees 18 CuppaTea 31 dustydigger 26 happydenial lantanna 15 leftatthetrafficlights 30 maggiem 15 maman 10 marahouti 1/25 PriceySOS 24 RobM99 30 satchmo1 30 Season of Mist sunshine raincloud 30 sukeyboo 10 VALM 31 WBF Newcomers welcome! :)

• cathybird
    Forumite
    edited 1 January 2023 at 12:15PM
    Annual challenge 2023

50 days = image
    100 days = image
    150 days = image
    200 days = image
    250 days = image
    300 days = image
    Target reached = image
    Target beaten = image

2023 targets
    AllNightDiner 122
    alt80 TF Arkers TF cathybird 300 Coveredinbees 240 CuppaTea 180 Dexsmummy dustydigger 300 lantanna 215 leftatthetrafficlights 300 maggiem 185 maman TF marahouti 325 PriceySOS RobM99 350 sukeyboo 160 sunshine raincloud 300 WBF Newcomers welcome! :)

• cathybird
    Forumite
    edited 1 January 2023 at 12:18PM
    Put me down for 300 days on the year's target,please cathybird.

Thanks dustydigger, fixed :):)

• Loving the emojis especially the pink elephants!  :D 
    Debt free November 2022 

• marahouti
    marahouti Posts: 1,571
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thank you for our shiny new thread cathybird 😀.
    I am 1/25 please. X
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,370
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Adorable pink elephants, making me tempted to set an annual target.  🥰

Thanks so much for the new thread @cathybird . For lurkers and anyone else thinking of cutting down/giving up, do you think it's worth a brief explanation of how the thread works. 🤔

• cathybird
    Forumite
    maman said:
    Adorable pink elephants, making me tempted to set an annual target.  🥰

Thanks so much for the new thread @cathybird . For lurkers and anyone else thinking of cutting down/giving up, do you think it's worth a brief explanation of how the thread works. 🤔

We've never actually done that before, it's the same opener we've used on all 17 previous instalments :), but I'll have a think & add a few words to it :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure