We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I invest in US shares tax-free through a stocks and shares ISA?

Options
2»

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    FDa65rdk said:
    FDa65rdk said:

Is there a period of time that has to elapse before another withdrawal can be made where the first 25% is not taxed?
    No, that's not the way it works.  You don't have to withdraw the full 25% tax-free sum all at once but it's a one-off.         
    Thanks.
    If somebody wanted to withdraw the funds from the SIPP in two separate stages, does that mean that the 25% is not taxed on the first withdrawal but it would be taxed on the second?
    No - you can
    1) Get 25% of the total in one go
    Or
    2) Split up your pension and just take 25% tax free of one part.  The rest of that part is taxed.
    Or
    3) get 25% tax free of every drawdown you make.

Generally the rule is you cant take a taxable part of a pension pot before you take the corresponding 25% tax free..  Well in theory you probably can but then you lose the 25% tax free benefit.

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FDa65rdk said:
    You need to research pensions as a separate topic, away from your original question.
    Pensions: Everything you need to know for retirement - MSE (moneysavingexpert.com)

Do you not have a current pension? related to your employment ?

Thanks.
    I have a teacher's pension which, to be honest, I haven't paid much attention to.
    I took a different role in education a few years ago and I need to check if the contributions go into the same pot as before.
    Teachers Pension is a typical very good Public Sector Pension, which is not an investment pot like a SIPP, but guarantees you a certain retirement income, based approx on your years of service and salary.
    Probably more of a priority to understand properly this pension, than dabbling  in US shares.
    You maybe be able to add more to it and get a better deal/higher retirement income. Although I am not sure about that as all public sector pensions have different rules.
    Pensions and retirement | Help with pensions and retirement | MoneyHelper
    Teachers' Pensions (teacherspensions.co.uk)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback