Rural Broadband

Options
I am moving to a rural part of the country and for Broadband I have tried Boundless who say they can do nothing for me, there is no 4G, I have spoken to BT who tell me they can get an upload speed of 5mbps yet on the contract it says only 1.1mbps which is rubbish. I wonder if there is anyone out there that can point me in the right direction.

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 December 2022 at 4:14PM
    Options
    1.1mbps upload certainly isn't rubbish when it comes to rural living, though it depends on your needs.

What's the download - and what are your requirements?  We have 15mbps max and it's good enough for multiple devices and HD streaming.  It can struggle with multiple heavy downloads, but nothing insurmountable.
  • greevescat
    Options
    I want to run an alarm system and cctv system and have been told i need 5mbps

• MorningcoffeeIV
    Options
    We quite happily run that on just over 1mbps. If you're looking at multiple cameras, all in 4k, you may struggle though.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We use Airband.
    When it works, it's brilliant but when it doesn't their CS is abysmal

Never heard of 'Boundless'

Is there no 4g with anyone?

You could look at Starlink, but they are not very MSE
  • alan_d
    alan_d Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'd suggest that Starlink is the only viable option. You'll typically see around 200mbps.
    I use their RV option (so I can travel with it) and it's excellent.
  • mrmmhf
    mrmmhf Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    alan_d said:
    I'd suggest that Starlink is the only viable option. You'll typically see around 200mbps.
    I use their RV option (so I can travel with it) and it's excellent.
    That’s pretty pricey as an option.
  • mrmmhf
    mrmmhf Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I am moving to a rural part of the country and for Broadband I have tried Boundless who say they can do nothing for me, there is no 4G, I have spoken to BT who tell me they can get an upload speed of 5mbps yet on the contract it says only 1.1mbps which is rubbish. I wonder if there is anyone out there that can point me in the right direction.
    Can’t Openreach get fibre to your new property? 
  • geoffW
    geoffW Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Could you use a mobile for your broadband? It's what I use when I'm at my caravan, 4G is good and with Lycamobile it costs just 95p per month for 15gb far better than £18 plus with a traditional BB. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback