*sigh* this is still taking a while, but moving forward (slowly!)

Options

Comments

• crunchy_time
    Options
    Well done for keeping going with dry January! Mine ended last weekend when husband added wine to the casserole and I decided that if it was in the food then I might as well finish the bottle 🤣

Glad things are better with your ET!
    Debt-free Jan 2023 | MFW date Dec 2033. Start date 1st January 2023 £257,509 (23 years left)
    Current Mortgage: £243,500
    Interest saved so far: £1273 
    Total overpaid so far: £1,188.93

• Drawingaline
    Options
    Feel you with the driving lessons. The girl passed in May, the Boy started lessons n July. So far he has managed to fail the theory three times. Each time by ONE mark 😭 however we paid for the first test, he is paying for any more. Giving him a small break now, will try and get another one booked next month, seeing as practical tests are a six month wait we will be paying for a bit longer. We pay £40 an hour. 
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Luckily driving lessons are cheaper up here but still... It's an expensive time.

Glad DD1 is starting to at least notice what you do.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Well done for keeping going with dry January! Mine ended last weekend when husband added wine to the casserole and I decided that if it was in the food then I might as well finish the bottle 🤣

Glad things are better with your ET!
    Thanks Crunchy.... I'm debating extending it to 100 days.  DH will not be joining me, he's always moaning about not being able to have a beer.  But he doesn't want to 'lose' so is continuing for January.  Haha to the wine in the casserole, I bought some of those wine stock pot things for cooking and they taste the same. 
    Someone brought some Ba!leys fudge into work and I had to check the label to make sure there was no actual alcohol in them :D 

Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Feel you with the driving lessons. The girl passed in May, the Boy started lessons n July. So far he has managed to fail the theory three times. Each time by ONE mark 😭 however we paid for the first test, he is paying for any more. Giving him a small break now, will try and get another one booked next month, seeing as practical tests are a six month wait we will be paying for a bit longer. We pay £40 an hour. 
    DD hasn't done her theory test yet, it's booked for next month.  If she follows her usual pattern, she won't study for it as she'll think she can wing it and then fail it and expect me to pay for a resit.  I've been very clear we're only paying for the first attempt.
    I'm not bothering to nag her, but that's my prediction.  
    DS is already studying for the theory and he can't even book one as he's awaiting his provisional to come through. 
    Chalk and cheese those two :D 
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,467 Forumite
    Options
    That's brilliant to hear about DD - remarkably quick progress now that she's in the land of the adult and has - at a guess - discovered that while she might be able to (or at least think she can!) flounce around with her lower lip out at home, if she tries it at work it gets a very dim reaction!  Loving that while she clocked how tiring your additional tasks were after a long day, she still didn't ask to help - you should have smiled sweetly and said "yep, that's why it's so lovely when people offer to help!" Fair play on only paying for attempt 1 at the theory test too - I took my test before they started that, it was just the questions in the car then, but I did a huge amount of studying of the Highway code for that as I really didn't want to risk failing the test just on that bit! 

That's excellent work on the Dry January as well - sounds like the habit is well on its way to being broken, so well done you! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,659 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think that is a good move to say you will only pay for one attempt for driver theory test for ET if you are still calling her that. If she fails due to lack of prep that is on her and she can pay for resits. At some point they have to grow up and take responsibility for their own actions. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Options
    I can't get over the difference between my two kids either...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Thanks EH, ES and SH

Yeah, she's on the right track at the mo, still very much an ET though :D 
    Didn't lose any weight this week which is sad, but I think some of the 6lb loss last week was temporary, so ill average it over the 2 weeks :) I know I've been calorie counting correctly and getting me steps in.  Hopefully scales will move next week to reflect this.

Money wise, we're doing ok.  Unplanned spends since 12th:

£26 DH bought a knife sharpener.  I've noticed when he's on a budget, he buys stuff that he feels is practical, maybe so he can justify the spending.  I don't think we really needed it, but not overly fussed.  Will keep an eye on this pattern though.
    £19 lunch out with DH for his Birthday, we had a  voucher for this restaurant, so we just had a small top up to pay.  Found a bonus £20 note in my coat later the same day, so might count that against it :D 
    £3 bought lunch at work as overslept
    £10 bin for DD2 room to hopefully help her keep it tidier

Not too bad, DH gets paid on Tuesday and we have enough to last until then easily 
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,780 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    All sounding good. How’s dry January going?  
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport