Halogen Heater Hack.

Options
I recently bought a Halogen heater to replace my old heater that gave up the ghost and have found that it has (for me at least) a hidden advantage to help reduce electricity costs. I usually have a lamp on while watching TV or relaxing and have found that I no longer need to have the lamp on when I am using my heater as it emits light as well as heat when on. For me it is just as bright if not slightly more bright than the lamp I would already be using, so it is no longer costing me for the lamp I would have been using. Win win. !!! I hope this has been a help. 

Comments

• nokia1100
    nokia1100 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Serious? How many Watts was the lamp? How many Watts was the old heater? And this brilliant halogen one?
    --Savings: £284k and counting...26/09/14 the day I reached six figures, doubled on 24/07/20
  • doodling
    doodling Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi,

It makes no difference.

All the energy supplied to any lamps and heaters ends up as heat in the room (assuming that no light is leaving the room).

You could have a 2kW heater or a 1900kW heater and a 100W lamp or if you want to go blind just four 500W halogen floodlights and the room would still get the same amount of heat.

If you've gone from a 2kW heart plus 50W lamp to just a 2kW heater then you aren't heating the room as much.  Obviously not heating the room as much will save energy but it will also be a slightly cooler room.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback