Birmingham Midshires Bank stole my money. How to return?

I already zero the account before because they tell me they will close. They send me the interest after closing. Account is closed now I can not login. After 10 days they surprise take my money with Direct Debit. They take my money 3 times! In same day they use Direct Debit 3 times! I need this money. I call the customer service after 50 minutes Scottish accent woman is working from home (I hear her kitchen cooking sounds) and she gives no sympathy not interested because it is my fault I did not cancel Direct Debit. She says they will refund in January. When I ask for date and guarantee she says she doesn't know date and no guarantee. When I ask for reference number for this complaint she disconnect. I don't want to call again Birmingham Midshires. Can my bank return this money? Never I have done this for Direct Debit dispute. My bank is TSB is it possible online? Thank you
«134

Replies

  • MattMattMattUKMattMattMattUK Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ayvan said:
    I already zero the account before because they tell me they will close. They send me the interest after closing. Account is closed now I can not login. After 10 days they surprise take my money with Direct Debit. They take my money 3 times! In same day they use Direct Debit 3 times! I need this money. I call the customer service after 50 minutes Scottish accent woman is working from home (I hear her kitchen cooking sounds) and she gives no sympathy not interested because it is my fault I did not cancel Direct Debit. She says they will refund in January. When I ask for date and guarantee she says she doesn't know date and no guarantee. When I ask for reference number for this complaint she disconnect. I don't want to call again Birmingham Midshires. Can my bank return this money? Never I have done this for Direct Debit dispute. My bank is TSB is it possible online? Thank you
    What was the Direct Debit for?
  • edited 22 December 2022 at 1:34AM
    adindasadindas Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2022 at 1:34AM
    ayvan said:
    I already zero the account before because they tell me they will close. They send me the interest after closing. Account is closed now I can not login. After 10 days they surprise take my money with Direct Debit. They take my money 3 times! In same day they use Direct Debit 3 times! I need this money. I call the customer service after 50 minutes Scottish accent woman is working from home (I hear her kitchen cooking sounds) and she gives no sympathy not interested because it is my fault I did not cancel Direct Debit. She says they will refund in January. When I ask for date and guarantee she says she doesn't know date and no guarantee. When I ask for reference number for this complaint she disconnect. I don't want to call again Birmingham Midshires. Can my bank return this money? Never I have done this for Direct Debit dispute. My bank is TSB is it possible online? Thank you
    Taking money from the closed Saving account does not just happen to you but it happens to a few of people here in MSEs.
    Quite surprising instead of apologising for their IT glitch they even blame you. In many cases such as DD from utility company, even you have switched provider, it is often suggestible to not close your account immediately.
    If you manage to record the conversation and raise a formal complain she will  really be in trouble
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    24.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    adindas said:
    Taking money from the closed Saving account does not just happen to you but it happens to a few of people here in MSEs.
    The issue as I understand it is taking money (by DD) from an open current account, not a closed savings account!
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @ayvan Contact your bank and ask for it to be refunded under the Direct Debit Guarantee. It should be back in your account by the end of the day.
  • edited 22 December 2022 at 11:35AM
    StaceyQStaceyQ Forumite
    190 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2022 at 11:35AM
    ayvan said:
    I already zero the account before because they tell me they will close. They send me the interest after closing. Account is closed now I can not login. After 10 days they surprise take my money with Direct Debit. They take my money 3 times! In same day they use Direct Debit 3 times! I need this money. I call the customer service after 50 minutes Scottish accent woman is working from home (I hear her kitchen cooking sounds) and she gives no sympathy not interested because it is my fault I did not cancel Direct Debit. She says they will refund in January. When I ask for date and guarantee she says she doesn't know date and no guarantee. When I ask for reference number for this complaint she disconnect. I don't want to call again Birmingham Midshires. Can my bank return this money? Never I have done this for Direct Debit dispute. My bank is TSB is it possible online? Thank you
    What was the Direct Debit for?
    Some people opened poorly paying savings account simply get an extra Direct Debit on their current accounts.

    They've largely been withdrawn as they were rarely used by genuine savers due to awful rates.

    Bank of Scotland is also closing all savings using the Birmingham Midshires brand.
  • edited 22 December 2022 at 2:12PM
    adindasadindas Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2022 at 2:12PM
    eskbanker said:
    adindas said:
    Taking money from the closed Saving account does not just happen to you but it happens to a few of people here in MSEs.
    The issue as I understand it is taking money (by DD) from an open current account, not a closed savings account!
    Well, not really. It is closed saving account. Do not know with the OP date but in my case, it was closed as at December x, 2022 with closing statement balanced (e.g £0) sent. But the DDs are still taken beyond this date after checking the link account. I also read the similar report here on MSE from people saying the same things, the Saving account is closed but DDs are still taken.
    You will see the statement like this on the closure statement sent.
    08/12/2022  Closure  Transaction: CHQ: 448XXX  Paid Out: £14.xx  Balance: £0.00
    I personally have a few of them, but fortunately just in the region of £1.xx.
    I will be thinking twice spending over half over on the phone just to recover £1, imo it is not worthy.
    Due to this report of some people here I have cancelled all of them.
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    24.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    adindas said:
    eskbanker said:
    adindas said:
    Taking money from the closed Saving account does not just happen to you but it happens to a few of people here in MSEs.
    The issue as I understand it is taking money (by DD) from an open current account, not a closed savings account!
    Well, not really. It is closed saving account. Do not know with the OP date but in my case, it was closed as at December x, 2022 with closing statement balanced (e.g £0) sent. But the DDs are still taken beyond this date after checking the link account. I also read the similar report here on MSE from people saying the same things, the Saving account is closed but DDs are still taken.
    That's the point I was making - it's not about the closed savings accounts but OP and others are understandably irritated that BM are still taking money from (open) current accounts via seemingly uncancelled DDs.  You'd said above that they were "Taking money from the closed Saving account", but there's no evidence I've seen that this is happening - how could it and how would it impact anyone anyway....?
  • edited 23 December 2022 at 1:11PM
    adindasadindas Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 December 2022 at 1:11PM
    eskbanker said:
    adindas said:
    eskbanker said:
    adindas said:
    Taking money from the closed Saving account does not just happen to you but it happens to a few of people here in MSEs.
    The issue as I understand it is taking money (by DD) from an open current account, not a closed savings account!
    Well, not really. It is closed saving account. Do not know with the OP date but in my case, it was closed as at December x, 2022 with closing statement balanced (e.g £0) sent. But the DDs are still taken beyond this date after checking the link account. I also read the similar report here on MSE from people saying the same things, the Saving account is closed but DDs are still taken.
    That's the point I was making - it's not about the closed savings accounts but OP and others are understandably irritated that BM are still taking money from (open) current accounts via seemingly uncancelled DDs.  You'd said above that they were "Taking money from the closed Saving account", but there's no evidence I've seen that this is happening - how could it and how would it impact anyone anyway....?
    It is from the closing BM saving account (e.g the closing statement and notification are already sent, indicating the saving account is closed and balance £0. It is not just the op but also other people. I also have a few of them (not just one). The notification and the closing statement were sent, CHQ are sent, the DD are still taken after that closing date from the current account. In my case it is just £1.xx I am losing so I will be thinking twice  to spend half hours to recover that money. But othe people case might be different.
    People do not need to cancel the DDs immediately for any closing account but the DDs must not be taken when the closing statement and notification are already sent. Also in many cases it is suggestible that people do not cancel the DD immediately.
    "You'd said above that they were "Taking money from the closed Saving account"
    This is another example.
  • edited 23 December 2022 at 12:09PM
    soulsaversoulsaver Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 December 2022 at 12:09PM
    They debited a current account; They didn't put it in the savings account. So where was it stolen from?
    Who cares?
    Either way, it's 'stolen' by Birmingham Midshires.


Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals