🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I replace my flatmate's fancy bowl - even though she told me not to?

Options
13»

Comments

• Gosportmum
    Options
    Offer once more, to replace it and if she says no again leave it at that. Just because it was expensive, doesn't mean she really liked it. Buy a decent bottle of wine to draw a line under the event.
  • hsang
    Options
    If you can afford it financially I would replace the bowl. Your flat mate might say she doesn't mind, and believe it in the moment, but little things can build up over time and result in resentment. 

I think it also shows you respect her belongings and respect her as an extension.
  • CapeTown
    Options
    Look on ebay. You will probably be able to get a replacement much cheaper and second hand.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP answers the question about replacement by saying he/she feels bad about it.  If OP can afford the replacement and can get one that matches, go ahead and buy it for the friend.
  • HRH_MUngo
    Options
    Just replace it if you feel bad about it.  I'm sure your friend won't mind!
    I used to be seven-day-weekend
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Agent57 said:
    Rob5342 said:
    Just talk to her and find out if she meant it or was just being polite.
    If only the world was that simple.  People often don't say what they mean. Being polite can often cause problems.

I often find the logical thing say and the polite thing to say are polar opposites and it can drive me insane.

It depends how hard you push it. They might be polite to start with but if you have your phone out about to buy a new one you could be more sure of their view.

• SuperScrimper1
    Options
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

While putting away the dishes, I accidentally dropped a bowl belonging to my flatmate. She told me not to bother replacing it as we have loads of others, but the bowl I smashed was from an expensive ceramics brand, while our other bowls are normal cheap crockery. Yet I still feel bad about it - what would you do?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    :/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    Well she said not to replace it . I would take that as she said and if she drinks get a bottle of wine if you cant afford that make her dinner or lunch and don't dwell to much on possessions and just be mates ...she obviously doesn't which is a good thing :):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure