PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas veg ideas for the freezer

Options

January is a long cold month already but with all the cheap veg in the supermarkets I’m trying to make the most of it by making food for the freezer. So far it’s been mostly soups a bit I thought we could share some ideas to make the most of the cheap food and stock up the freezer.

• Soup ( millions of variants!!)
  • Cauliflower/ Broccoli bake
  • Mashed potatoes/swede/carrots 

I’m sure there is loads of other things that could be made but I can’t think off the top of my head. I’d like to chip potatoes for chips but they always go brown when I froze them before.

Tink

Living the simple life

Comments

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 December 2022 at 12:01AM
    Options
    Delia's red cabbage freezes beautifully .
    Swede and carrot mash, is also a good one (can also use other root veg) it's also a really good addition to soups.
    Ratatouille is also a good freezer addition.
    Rumbledethump in a tinfoil dish ready to go straight into the oven.

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 December 2022 at 8:53PM
    Options
    Cooked potato dishes which can be cut into  portions & frozen:
    dauphinoise potatoes
    lyonnaise potatoes
    boulangere potatoes

mashed potato if mixed with milk/ fat- use for shepherd's pie , potato scones
    fish cakes made with potato
    rosti
    hash browns

Delia's red cabbage- as above. Will keep in fridge for a week. can be cooked in slow cooker, eaten hot or cold

green cabbage can be frozen in wedges and then added to dishes

Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Sunshine_and_Roses
    Options
    I would like to try Delias red cabbage recipe in the slow cooker, but could do with advice.  I have some frozen stewed apples, could I defrost these instead of fresh and layer them with the cabbage and onions, then slow cook overnight? 
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    clareski said:
    I would like to try Delias red cabbage recipe in the slow cooker, but could do with advice.  I have some frozen stewed apples, could I defrost these instead of fresh and layer them with the cabbage and onions, then slow cook overnight? 
    almost certainly
    I have used cheap apple sauce instead of fresh apples- worked fine
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Made 2 shepherds pie today with a bag of 19p potatoes, diced carrots in the pie too!
    Living the simple life
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,184 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    We're getting to the time when the cheap veg deals are starting up for this year ... as well as this thread, there are some ideas from 2019 here too - but please keep the suggestions coming. 
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What can I make for the freezer? 

I’m trying to fill my freezer after a hard few months. Christmas is coming and we have been doing our best this year. I used to be able to fill the freezer with loads of great easy meals and cooking hacks but I’m a bit out of practice.

can I freezer leek and potato soup if I make it as got some cheap leeks and potatoes? I have done carrot and parsnip soup already. 
    Potatoes tent to go brown when I freezer them but I have made some mash and frozen that. 

Did anyone have any ideas on anything else I can utilise the cheap veg for my freezer?

Merry Christmas everyone!!
    Living the simple life
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport