We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing just one tyre

Options

Comments

• mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's very common these days for tyre places to just bung on whatever budget tyre they have handy. My mother in law's last car ended up with a different brand at every corner. I don't fancy that myself.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 32,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mgfvvc said:
    It's very common these days for tyre places to just bung on whatever budget tyre they have handy. My mother in law's last car ended up with a different brand at every corner. I don't fancy that myself.
    It depends what you're able and willing to pay for!  Your MIL's car will only have ended up with a pick'n'mix selection if she was OK with that, but in the context of OP's question, the lease company will have policies governing replacement (including acceptable brands), and the fitting companies will be required to adhere to that, typically seeking lease company approval prior to fitment.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    molerat said:
    Not really a problem on the rear of a front wheel drive car but I would have liked an exact replacement.  That said many years ago my from new car had worn out its front tyres so I got one replacement and used the spare.  Exact same make and model of tyre except one was a few years newer.  Had them on the front and the car pulled one way.  Couldn't figure it out and swapped the wheels over.  Car pulled the other way, couldn't believe it ! Put them on the back and problem went away.
    Hi
    I agree with the exact replacement but more often than nt there is usually not one in stock
    You are right if tyres on the front and one is a lot newer and or a lot better grip I guess you can feel it though I have had no experience of that but I have noted is when I get new tyres all around, the car's steering 100% feels different..

If you wish, all tyres have different braking distances, handling also can be different in winter and summer and road noise and wear.  As I said before, they should have put on a tyre that matched the characteristics of your car but easier said than done while you wait.

I hate the facts more and more cars do not have a spar and or a full-sized one. Even the temp tyre imo is better than a repair kit as it gives you the chance to get the tyre you want from another dealer/etc.

Thanks

• Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 709 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I used to drive company vans we used to use a fleet company that wouldn’t change a worn tyre until it reached the legal limit of 1.6 mm, most of us deemed it unsafe especially a van laden with tools and parts, one manager had a blazing row with them as his tyre was about 1.8 and he refused to drive it until it was changed
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 December 2022 at 6:41PM
    Options
    Are we talking about  people that drive around corners on the limit or brake at the last minute?? Or people that drive sensibly and could take a corner with slicks on ice without sliding off the road and use the engine to slow rather than the brakes?  Or somewhere in between?  If later two options, change one at a time, makes no difference
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are we talking about  people that drive around corners on the limit or brake at the last minute?? Or people that drive sensibly and could take a corner with slicks on ice without sliding off the road and use the engine to slow rather than the brakes?
    or people that might encounter a pedestrian stepping out from behind a van, a deer running out from hedge or a car running a red light?

• diystarter7
    Options
    mgfvvc said:
    Are we talking about  people that drive around corners on the limit or brake at the last minute?? Or people that drive sensibly and could take a corner with slicks on ice without sliding off the road and use the engine to slow rather than the brakes?
    or people that might encounter a pedestrian stepping out from behind a van, a deer running out from hedge or a car running a red light?

Hi

The thing is and which many good drivers are aware of, as the thread is worn down on any tyre, the braking distances increase.

I always get my tyres changed long before legal limits as it is not worth the risk.

Thanks
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 3,107 Forumite
    Options
    One misconception to correct is that you best tyres should always be on the rear axle, regardless of front or rear wheel drive. More so on front wheel drive.

On the front you have both steering and acceleration / deceleration control to adjust to any lack of grip. On the rear you have deceleration.

This is a long proven fact, unfortunately too many people don't know it.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mgfvvc said:

If you don't work in the tyre business it must be car insurance
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    Options
    400ixl said:
    One misconception to correct is that you best tyres should always be on the rear axle, regardless of front or rear wheel drive. More so on front wheel drive.

On the front you have both steering and acceleration / deceleration control to adjust to any lack of grip. On the rear you have deceleration.

This is a long proven fact, unfortunately too many people don't know it.
    Hello

I've had a look through the posts, did anyone say that as I've not noted it.
    I'm not havig a go at you just want to know why you said that, please?

Many thanks i advance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure