Can someone advise me

Options
Hi, My mother passed away in March this year. I was executor of the will. I paid all bills and closed accounts etc. Sold her bungalow and exchanged 1 June'22. The electricity was paid and I have the full and final bill. 6 months later I have received a letter from LCS debt recovery stating I owe a further £65.98 and they acting on behalf of bulb. Every time I ring bulb they hang up on me. I have explained to LCS and sent all paperwork to both parties, death cert/ house exchange/ receipt of payment to bulb for final bill. What do I do ?

Comments

• Jyana
    Jyana Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you pay the final bill before or after selling the property? It sounds like it could be before from what you've said here, so just want to check before going any further.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 December 2022 at 2:05PM
    Options
    Was there a gap between exchange and completion, and did you deal with final readings on exchange? Having said that, it would need to be an unusually long gap to leave that amount outstanding for payment even if that were the case. 

It’s so tough, the death of a parent. The last thing you need is additional hassle on top of the grief. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 December 2022 at 2:35PM
    Options
    i'm sorry for your loss. 

you say youve sent them the paperwork. do you mean this form? https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360015856632-What-to-do-if-the-account-holder-has-died

first thing i would do is email a complaint to bulb using the details here. https://bulb.co.uk/complaints/ hanging up on you is very poor customer service and if they have an email with all the info they can't hang up so. 

there complaints team should be able to help you with the next steps. 

Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    you say "passed away in March this year", " I paid all bills and closed accounts", "exchanged 1 June'22".
    Could it be for the period when you closed account and completed?
    Even though house was unoccupied any usage/standing charge would still need to be paid.

• t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    First thing is to ask them to prove it. Have you asked them why you owe this money?
  • Torchlight66
    Options
    Yeah they said its a short payment 6 months after the final bill ?
  • Torchlight66
    Options
    Jyana said:
    Did you pay the final bill before or after selling the property? It sounds like it could be before from what you've said here, so just want to check before going any further.
    No I paid the bill after exchange, the day we signed I took photos of the meters and sent them in, the final bill was prepared and I paid that
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    One thing to note is that it is unlikely you have had a "full and final" bill - that means something specific and energy suppliers would almost never issue one.

You might have had a final bill, but they have six years to correct any errors and send you a new final bill.

I don't know if that's what has happened here, but it is a thing that happens.
  • Jyana
    Jyana Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jyana said:
    No I paid the bill after exchange, the day we signed I took photos of the meters and sent them in, the final bill was prepared and I paid that
    In that case, as long as you have paid all standing charges and units due while you had the property in the final bill you have already paid (do check your figures first to double check), do as t0rt0ise says and request them to Prove It. Templates for the letter can be found on the Debt Wannabe forum here, I believe.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jyana said:
    I’d suspect that there was something left switched on between exchange and completion then. The new owners moved in on completion day, gave their readings, and of course down the line it became apparent there was a discrepancy. You’d already been billed to the reading you gave, but it sounds like the subsequent bill is now being raised to cover that discrepancy.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills