How to claim from bankrupt trader?

Hi, we employed a carpenter in the summer to do some work for us. He asked for a sizeable initial deposit to start the works (we paid via bank transfer), got as far as doing some drawings for us, then a few weeks later sent an email saying he had filed for bankruptcy. We then hadn't really heard anything until today, when he sent us an email with 'Bankruptcy Order' attached. 

It appears to be a document issued by The Insolvency Service, dated to two days ago. It doesn't really say much other that state he's officially bankrupt, and give a case number. I assume he sent it to me to allow me to apply for my money back - but I've no idea how. There's no guidance on it or anything, and even the Insolvency Service's website isn't much help.

Does anyone have any ideas? I wonder if his details might appear on their searchable database after a few more days, which might then allow me some options - but for now he doesn't appear at all.

(And yes, I've learnt the hard way that I should have tried to pay the deposit by credit card!)


Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools