Sciatica, back pain & Blue badge

Options
jlemaitre
jlemaitre Posts: 299 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 9 December 2022 at 12:35PM in Benefits & tax credits
I(forum users partner) 

Suffer with extreme back pain and sciatica, which I have suffered constantly since August 2020. There are a few weeks the pains dissappear, but then both come back with a vengeance.

I struggle to walk, stand up straight and when I do walk it's at a 90 degree angle. I can't walk far and often require crouching down or dragging myself to my destination.

I have tried a tens machine, and it doesn't work, cocodemal which works a little. I do many exercises to relieve the pain, which gives slight relief for all but a few minutes.

I have tried everything within reason, and this obviously effects my work. My employer sent me to OH who confirmed me as disabled at work.

I was requested to visit my doctors who confirmed my back and sciatica issues and have given me a sick note that lasts indefinitely stating sciatica back pain.

Now with all this I mind I struggle to get in and out my car, I have to wear a back belt thing and have a cushion on my seat.

It's been mentioned about getting a blue badge by several people.
I spoke to my local council and told them my issues and they said they'll send me an application form. 

Is it possible to get a blue badge for myself. Or am I just going to waste my time and over an hours wages applying for the badge?

Does anyone here suffer like me with daily to day chores with sciatica and back pains who have successfully obtained a blue badge?

Thanks in advance to those who can shed some light.

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    One of the main criteria for a Blue Badge is having "considerable difficulty walking".  The level of your pain and nature of walking sound like you may well meet that criterion.

You may be able to find your local council's criteria online, but this is the statutory guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-blue-badge-scheme-local-authority-guidance-england/blue-badge#determining-the-eligibility-of-individual-applicants
    Note particularly the information under the heading "Assessing people who are unable to walk during the course of a journey"

Age UK have a good PDF for completing the application as well https://www.ageuk.org.uk/bp-assets/globalassets/wiltshire/our-services/public-lists/a-guide-on-how-to-complete-blue-badge-forms-july21-1.pdf  (I'm not assuming your age by any means, the principle guidance for how to answer the question are good for all ages.)

As it is affecting your daily life you should also consider applying for PIP (or Attendance Allowance if you are over state pension age, although AA does not have a mobility component).
    [May I ask are you still working - with difficulty - or do you currently claim an income-replacement benefit?]

I'll also ask the forum team to move this to the Benefits board as you'll likely get more advice there.
  • jlemaitre
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply.

I work full time, and get zero sick pay. I am a home owner so if I don't go to work no one will pay my bills. So have to grin and bare it. I am almost 39, but have worked a hard life so far. So I've never even considered any benefit, and doubt I'd be entitled to any of the sort. I'd rather work than being struck off work. 

It does effect life. For example I have on occasions slept on the bedroom floor(hard surface) I've often crawled from the bedroom to the living room, in a coach house and sometimes it's taken minutes to get changed.

Weekly shops on occasions are an absolute nightmare. Using the trolley to assist my walking, getting angry as to why people walk so slow and trying to get the family get and hurry up so I can sit down.

I have to cherry pick where to park as a normal bay, I can't get out the car as the bays are small, I have to slumber out the side.

My work have stated I am no longer allowed any heavy duties and as per the doctors note, and even if I try I'm told to leave it(task).

Also what I find strange is out the blue my leg gives way without any warning.

I shall report my post to see if it can be moved. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    PIP is not means-tested, it is based on mobility and ability to do daily living activities, nothing to do with work - and indeed many people claim it whilst working full-time.  The threshold for the standard mobility rate based on physical difficulty walking is the same as for a Blue Badge, by the way.

It's ESA/UC that are the income-replacement benefits, and should the time come that you need to claim either or both, they are there for those that need it, absolutely zero shame in claiming.  And should you find yourself too unwell to work full-time but well enough to work part-time, claiming any benefits you qualify for might actually enable you to keep working.  If your back pain would affect your ability to self-propel a manual wheelchair then given your difficulty walking you would probably already qualify for the highest rate from the mobility descriptor alone.

And, please forgive if this unsolicited advice is an overstepping of boundaries, but from your description of the weekly shop it really sounds like you could do with a mobility aid with a decent seat, so you can sit whenever you need to rather than the rising pain, increasing frustration and overall nightmare that is currently the case.  I know, I've been there.
  • jlemaitre
    Options
    Thank you for your advise.
    It's taken on board... I don't fully understand the ins and outs of the benefit system and whilst we do claim child credits we've never invested time into it all.

Something to take into consideration. What about when I'm in a non pain scenario I had it mid Feb 22 til mid June 22, every day. It wasn't to bad during most summer. But it returned just as bad end of August til October. Since then its random days, so there are days I'm fine.

I do feel somewhat, not entitled to a blue badge. I've even stated to my local council I don't intend to use it when I can stand straight. As I know there's others in a worse scenario than me. 

I've got the form to fill in, dug out my spare passport photos, birth certificate. They seem to want quite a bit of stuff.

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are suffering the pain you are saying you suffer when walking you will get a blue badge
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Personally, if I were experiencing the same problems that you are at your age, I would want my GP to instigate some investigations and help such as physiotherapy. And I would also be applying for a blue badge and any mobility aids to allow me to enjoy as normal a life as possible.

You say you have a hard job, and your employers seem to be supporting you to work within their assessment of what is safe & appropriate for you. Please note that if you decide to ignore that guidance you may find they will not be insured for you in the event of anything untoward happening.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • jlemaitre
    Options
    MikeJXE said:
    If you are suffering the pain you are saying you suffer when walking you will get a blue badge
    Thanks. I walk at a 90 degree angle when I suffer at the height of it. I work in a school, a caretaker. So all the kids an staff see how I walk.

Guess I'm just looking for confirmation. I shall fill the form in tomorrow. 
  • jlemaitre
    edited 8 December 2022 at 10:46PM
    Options
    Floss said:
    Personally, if I were experiencing the same problems that you are at your age, I would want my GP to instigate some investigations and help such as physiotherapy. And I would also be applying for a blue badge and any mobility aids to allow me to enjoy as normal a life as possible.

You say you have a hard job, and your employers seem to be supporting you to work within their assessment of what is safe & appropriate for you. Please note that if you decide to ignore that guidance you may find they will not be insured for you in the event of anything untoward happening.
    They have been great. My colleagues have taken up the slack I've made. But I always go out the way to ensure they are pulling me and I take on stuff to help them(light Dury work).

I struggle during exam periods as I'm expected to set up hundreds of exam desks and chairs. Now I change my hours when these events happen so my colleagues help me and I return I help them. That way a 3 hour job isn't left for myself. So far it works well.

My GP has said because I dont suffer everyday and the sciatica goes and comes back there is no need to any further examination until it gets even worse. It's when I can't control my body I should return.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    jlemaitre said:

Something to take into consideration. What about when I'm in a non pain scenario I had it mid Feb 22 til mid June 22, every day. It wasn't to bad during most summer. But it returned just as bad end of August til October. Since then its random days, so there are days I'm fine.

I do feel somewhat, not entitled to a blue badge. I've even stated to my local council I don't intend to use it when I can stand straight. As I know there's others in a worse scenario than me. 
    That's a very important question.  They are all assessed on how you are for more than half the time.*  Better days/weeks/months do not negate the rest of the time.  Fluctuating conditions are valid and very common.  It would actually be extremely unusual if a person's symptoms never varied.

*One of them (I think it's PIP but I'm not sure) technically says that if you can't do something for any part of a day, you are not to be counted as being able to do it that day, and it goes on how things are for more than half the days.  I wouldn't necessarily expect that to be the case for a Blue Badge though.

Also, many people don't understand that the fact other people might 'have it worse' does not negate their own problems!  It's like saying you're not allowed to be happy if anyone has it better than you, completely illogical :)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does your GP know your legs give way?

An acquaintance had his legs give way a couple of times. His GP referred him to hospital, MRI scan etc.

Turned out he need spinal surgery to avoid becoming paralysed 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure