pension forecast

I am confused as to where I stand in relation to the Government Pension since I have received conflicting information in the past.
I was born in 1958 and I understand that my pension qualifying date was raised from 1960 to 1966.
My history as far as contributions are concerned are as follows:
I left college and immediately began working, paying contributions thought that period.
I left work to have my first child and â?~stampsâ?T were credited up to the time my eldest child left school.
It was sometime after this that I did find employment and contributions were paid throughout this period. During this period I did receive notice that my contributions were in arrears but, when I questioned this it became apparent that I had not been given credits in respect of my bringing up my four children. This was rectified and, at the time it was confirmed that I was up to date.
Unfortunately, my working life was brought to an abrupt end following an injury caused at work. I was employed by the N.H.S as a theatre nurse during a difficult procedure. The surgeon had asked me to handle a situation which normally would be undertaken by him. However, he was having problems and asked me to try. In doing so I injured my shoulder badly but assumed the pain would wear off after a few days. The one mistake I made was a failure to formally record the incident at the time it happened with the result that the hospital denied any liability. Eventually they also established that I would no longer be physically able to carry out my duties and gave me notice to leave.
I was directed to the Local job centre with the view that they would be able to find me a suitable job. After attending a course it was agreed that I was unfit for work and eventually I was formally classified as disabled. From that date I have attended a number of assessments all of which confirmed that I still fell within this category. The situation remains unchanged today and as time has gone by my health has deteriorated considerably.
I mention this only to paint a picture.
Recently I received notification that my subscriptions were out of date and suggesting that my pension sum would be seriously affected. It now seems that I have not received any credits for the number of years since classified and I wonder why. I expected that credits would continue to be made for the period of disability and inability to work. I already have to wait a further six years before becoming pensionable during which time it does seems that I am also expected to make further contributions during the wait. 

I have been unable to establish whether I have been wrongly advised and shall be most grateful if anyone can confirm whether I have been advised correctly.
Thank you.

Comments

• You can get an online pension forecast and it will show you which years are incomplete.  It will also show you whether you need to pay anything to fill years to increase your pension amount, or whether you already have the full amount.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  • You can get an online pension forecast and it will show you which years are incomplete.  It will also show you whether you need to pay anything to fill years to increase your pension amount, or whether you already have the full amount.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
    ^^^^^ This.  If you post the full details then there are plenty of people on here who can help and explain things.

Don't assume the headline figure is what you will get, you must read it all
  • whizzywoo
    whizzywoo Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 December 2022 at 1:40AM
    Are you saying that for the years you were receiving ESA and or Incapacity Benefit you have not been given any NI credits?

Your post is not very clear as to what benefits you were claiming and for which years.

Disability benefits such as Disability Living Allowance and PIP do not qualify for NI credits. 

Incapacity Benefit and it's replacement, ESA, do give NI credits towards your State Pension. 

Do get your State Pension forecast  as advised above.  Check the missing years.  Were you claiming ESA or Incapacity Benefit during those missing years?
    "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  :) 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    NI credits are paid through child benefit up until your youngest child reaches 12. I find your post difficult to follow and you don't mention which benefit exactly you've been claiming.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    NI credits are paid through child benefit up until your youngest child reaches 12. I find your post difficult to follow and you don't mention which benefit exactly you've been claiming.
    At the OP's age, it's possible that Child Benefit continued to the age of 18, with NI credits being applied throughout. 

I can't remember when it changed, but I'm a couple of years older and benefitted from this. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure