PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

War time recipes

Options

Comments

• RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 December 2022 at 12:47PM
    Options
    Saw a video about the effect the Allies' blockade had on Germany in WW2. Bread made with sawdust for example. Grim.
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    @CapricornLass, your post reminded me of my granddaughter, age 6, who said, " I think I'll have the squid tempora I've never had it before". Totally agree about children's menus; when was it decided that children could only eat something processed with chips rather than proper food?
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Some of the war-time recipes are ok, though.  I have the Marguerite Patten book We'll Eat Again, which was produced in conjunction with the Imperial War Museum, and some of the soup recipes are lovely.  There was also a steamed fish roll, where I substituted smoked fish for fresh-salted cod,  and another which was a pilchard Layer loaf - basically a small loaf cut into four layers, and with a small tin of pilchards mashed up and spread between the layers, with the whole lot covered in a thick white sauce, which was very popular with my children.  There is also a good pasty recipe.

The only reason I don't do some of them now is because of a gluten intolerance (and said children have left home!)
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • annieb64
    annieb64 Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have "We'll Eat Again" DD borrowed it as DGS is studying WW2 at school and had to go into school dressed as a child of that time and take a ration book packed lunch. He took a cheese sandwich, biscuits and a couple of apples. I don't know how much cheese was in the sandwich.  Last time I was over there for dinner he sprinkled about a weeks ration of cheese over his pasta.

Has anyone read "Nella Last's War" ? I would love to have seen her recipe book. 
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Yes, I have, and the one she wrote after the war - I was able to borrow them from the library.  She's very readable.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • annieb64
    Options
    They couldn't do it although it would be interesting to see them try.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback