We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to get my friend something for Christmas that's on sale?

Options

Comments

• Tim11111000111
    Options
    If you've agreed to spend £30 then that is the agreement - especially given that in these days of internet shopping, it's all too easy to find things on a "discount" compared to the RRP.

But I would think about exactly what is implied by your agreement. Presumably you aren't actually obligated to spend £30 on the dot, because that would be nigh on impossible? So there must be some kind of implied tolerance? So if the discount is only a few pounds, I wouldn't worry. If it is significantly cheaper, then make up the difference with something small - I'm sure you can find a fancy bar of chocolate or something that is a nice present of an appropriate value.
  • Ed264
    Ed264 Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You mutually agreed a £30 spend. Be honourable and stick to this agreement, even if you have to buy them something else to make it £30 spent.
  • sunnyflower
    Options
    I spend a lot of time looking for discount codes / vouchers to save money for Christmas / birthday presents .
    I don't necessarily save money though as I often buy more expensive items than I would've done 🤣🤣🤣.

• REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The question asked is "Is it OK to get my friend something for Christmas that is on sale."

Answer is "Yes".
  • Bonnypitlad
    Options
    If you consider this a money moral dilemma, it would appear you’re not enjoying giving gifts?
    I suggest you read Martins blog about banning unnecessary Christmas gifts. It doesn’t make you Scrooge, just more sensible 
    “God bless us, everyone!”
  • keithyno.1
    Options
    It’s blindingly obvious - if you and your friend have mutually agreed to spend £30 on each other’s gifts, then of course that’s what you should spend. So get the item at the cheaper sale price then something else extra to make it up to the £30.

But isn’t this an absolutely perfect example of what Martin’s called ‘unnecessary Christmas presents’ and which is mentioned in today’s weekly MSE email? Having a monetary value stipulated at the outset isn’t in the Christmas spirit anyway in my view, so why don’t you and your friend just ditch the arrangement and spend whatever you want, of your own money, on yourselves? 

• rushda
    rushda Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2022 at 11:28PM
    Options
    A better alternative would be to buy something that was originally £60 that you are now getting for £30. That way your friend is the one that benefits from the deal, not you, and she would be super excited and impressed.
  • Gemmie57
    Options
    Go for it!  If I was your friend I certainly wouldn't be offended that you got a £30 present for less - I would admire your ingenuity!
  • mouse477
    Options
    Why not donate the saving to a charity and include the info in your friends present. OR - better still - why not donate the £30 to charity. The charity of your choice, will send you a gift card that you can give to your friend. Maybe, you can then set a precedent for next year, so both of you will donate to those who don't have £3, let alone £30. I've been doing this for several years
  • CapeTown
    CapeTown Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We used to do this with my ex husband's family. I hated it because they were a big family and we weren't but we were short of cash. I would give them book tokens and they would buy us tat. I remember one year getting a mock victorian candle snuffer. I mean ....what! I eventually managed to stop all the nonsense by asking them to donate to charity instead.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure