We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Vehicle Excise Duty and enhanced PIP award

Options
I have enhanced PIP for both daily living and mobility. I have only recently realised that we can have a reduction on our car tax. Husband went to the post office with all documents suggested on DVLA website but clerk said we needed a PIP ' certificate of entitlement'.  

I spoke to MacMillan about this and they said that there is no actual certificate, it's a statement on the reverse of the original award letter. 

The PIP customer help line is useless - an exercise in frustration. Has anyone else used this extra benefit to reduce their car tax, and if so, what certificate was used? Mine is dated with the original award date so could be classed as out-for- date now. 

Any help advice gratefullybreceived.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Beenie said:

I spoke to MacMillan about this and they said that there is no actual certificate, it's a statement on the reverse of the original award letter. 

You were advised incorrectly. The certificate of entitlement is completely different to the PIP decision letter. When you have Enhanced mobility PIP this entitles you to free VED providing the vehicle is used for the purpose of the disabled person only.
  • Muskey
    Muskey Posts: 388 Forumite
    Options
    When I first got PIP car tax, I had to contact my DWP office (detail on PIP award letter) and ask for a DLA401.
    This form used to have a limited life and needed replacement via the DWP, but my last few renewals have been approved just by quoting my NI number on the application instead of the DLA401 number.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,822 Forumite
    Options
    When you have Enhanced mobility PIP this entitles you to free VED providing the vehicle is used for the purpose of the disabled person only.

What  if the disabled person can not drive, and has to rely on more able people to drive, and then the able bodied person drives the car occasionally for personal use?
    I presume this is not technically OK, but if it is not deliberate abuse of the free VED concession but just a practical issue,  then nobody is going to worry about it too much ?
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The disabled person doesn't actually have to be in the car, but it should only be used for their benefit such as getting their shopping or picking something up for them.

In practice, occasional personal use is unlikely to ever be discovered.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chrisw said:
    The disabled person doesn't actually have to be in the car, but it should only be used for their benefit such as getting their shopping or picking something up for them.

In practice, occasional personal use is unlikely to ever be discovered.
    I'd agree, but I'd also suggest that it's very important that none of the drivers ever think of it as 'their car': it is not. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 December 2022 at 8:46PM
    Options
    If I could ask, wonder if half cost VED is going to be available for EV's from 2025.
    Standard pip mobility
    (enhanced daily living)
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,165 Forumite
    Options
    Dandytf said:
    If I could ask, wonder if half cost VED is going to be available for EV's from 2025.
    Standard pip mobility
    (enhanced daily living)

50% reduction in VED applies to everyone claiming standard mobility. Daily living PIP has nothing to do with VED.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Dandytf said:
    Standard pip mobility
    (enhanced daily living)
    I can't see why not - it would be nonsensical to penalise disabled people for driving EVs if they were excluded from the reduction.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,113 Forumite
    Options
    VED is just that, it makes no difference as to what type of car it is.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport