Death Certificate

Options
My father died in 2003 and I was the executor of his will.  My brother died in 2017.  I have found a payment card for life insurance which apparently was taken out by my father on my brother, It was taken out in 1941, soon after my brother was born.
The insurance company, (CIS), want some numbers off both the death certificate of my father, who took it out, and my brother, whose life was insured. 
After all this time, I have no idea what happened to the death certificate of my father, as, as far as I was concerned, his estate was settled years ago, it was a simple matter of just myself and my brother inheriting. 
How can I get a copy of his death certificate?
Thanks in advance.  

Comments

• FabFifty
    FabFifty Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    www.gov.uk - You need to register on the General Register Office (GRO) website to get a copy of a birth, adoption, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate in England and Wales. Certificates cost £11 and are sent 4 days after you apply.
    You can also order a copy certificate by 'phone or post, or from the Register Officer where the death was registered.
  • Oddjob
    Oddjob Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FabFifty said:
    www.gov.uk - You need to register on the General Register Office (GRO) website to get a copy of a birth, adoption, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate in England and Wales. Certificates cost £11 and are sent 4 days after you apply.
    You can also order a copy certificate by 'phone or post, or from the Register Officer where the death was registered.
    Thank you very much.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    what numbers do they want ? is it just the GRO reference as you can get those without ordering the cert 
  • Oddjob
    Options
    what numbers do they want ? is it just the GRO reference as you can get those without ordering the cert 
    I don't know what the numbers are they want.  She said it is the numbers in the top right hand corner of the certificate.  Without being able to see the certificate, I don't know.  

• buddy9
    buddy9 Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have a relative who has a life insurance policy taken out by their parent in the early 1950s. It will pay out £10 on death. 

I wonder what your 1941 policy will pay out?
  • Oddjob
    Options
    buddy9 said:
    I have a relative who has a life insurance policy taken out by their parent in the early 1950s. It will pay out £10 on death. 

I wonder what your 1941 policy will pay out?
    Lol, that isn't much is it?  A copy of my dad's death certificate will cost more than that by the looks of it !!  I'm not even getting the money, it will go to my brother's children who were the beneficiaries of his will.

• Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can also obtain a copy of the certificate at the register office the death was registered at.
    Different offices have different procedures but a quick call will answer that qiery.
  • Oddjob
    Options
     Shelldean said:
    You can also obtain a copy of the certificate at the register office the death was registered at.
    Different offices have different procedures but a quick call will answer that qiery.

Thank you 
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oddjob said:
    I don't know what the numbers are they want.  She said it is the numbers in the top right hand corner of the certificate.  Without being able to see the certificate, I don't know.  

I think that is the application number - curious never known anyone asking for that ! TBH I would see if you can fidn out what the value of the policy is as it may, as other mentioned, be very small
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Back in the dark ages I worked for CIS.  That does very much sound like a penny policy that only matured on death.  If you have the policy number then ring head office and enquire 0161 8328686   Oops - seems things have changed 03456 057 777
    Mags - who loves shopping
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure