We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help… British Gas has breached its fixed term contract with me

Options
2

Comments

  • Alan59
    Alan59 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    Alan59 said:
    MWT said:
    As Alan59 is having a few issues with replies, here is the answer to my question...

    Alan59 said:
    The tariff was loyalty 23v1
    when the contract was entered into the gas was 3.163,per KWh and the electricity 17.875 per kwh
    changed to 10.026 Per KWh. (Gas)
    34.678 per kWh ( electricity) 
    excluding VAT




    The tariff was loyalty jun23v1
    when the contract was entered into the gas was 3.163,per KWh and the electricity 17.875 per kwh
    changed to 10.026 Per Kwh. (Gas)
    34.678 per kWh ( electricity) 
    excluding VAT……………

    Thank you for your help 👌
    do you have those numbers in an email or screen shot? the historic rates i find online for the june v1 and v2 are the rates you say your currently on. 
    Hi yes British Gas texted  me the full details of the rates  as shown above when I requested them in my complaint👌
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 December 2022 at 2:27PM
    Options
    Thanks for giving us the details, but from the looks of things there appears to be some confusion...
    The fixed tariff you are on was never as cheap as you are suggesting... Those rates look like a previous fix as gas was already well above 7p/kWh by May, and similarly electricity was well above 20p in most cases.
    Loyalty Jun 23v1 was already at the prices you show as the 'changed' rates when it was available earlier this year, it hasn't altered since then...
    If you look at your first bill on the new tariff, you will probably see part of the period on the previous cheaper fixed rate, and then the rest of the period on the new fixed rate.
    Can you tell use the name of the tariff you were on before the current one?









  • Astria
    Astria Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MWT said:
    Thanks for giving us the details, but from the looks of things there appears to be some confusion...
    The fixed tariff you are on was never as cheap as you are suggesting... Those rates look like a previous fix as gas was already well above 7p/kWh by May, and similarly electricity was well above 20p in most cases.
    Loyalty Jun 23v1 was already at the prices you show as the 'changed' rates when it was available earlier this year, it hasn't altered since then...
    If you look at your first bill on the new tariff, you will probably see part of the period on the previous cheaper fixed rate, and then the rest of the period on the new fixed rate.
    Can you tell use the name of the tariff you were on before the current one?
    By April I would expect about 20p+, so yes, seems more like a tariff from the year before. I remember in October last year I was seeing 15p/electric and 3.5p/gas, just before it shot up, and then again in April.
  • Alan59
    Alan59 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    MWT said:
    Thanks for giving us the details, but from the looks of things there appears to be some confusion...
    The fixed tariff you are on was never as cheap as you are suggesting... Those rates look like a previous fix as gas was already well above 7p/kWh by May, and similarly electricity was well above 20p in most cases.
    Loyalty Jun 23v1 was already at the prices you show as the 'changed' rates when it was available earlier this year, it hasn't altered since then...
    If you look at your first bill on the new tariff, you will probably see part of the period on the previous cheaper fixed rate, and then the rest of the period on the new fixed rate.
    Can you tell use the name of the tariff you were on before the current one?









    MWT said:
    Thanks for giving us the details, but from the looks of things there appears to be some confusion...
    The fixed tariff you are on was never as cheap as you are suggesting... Those rates look like a previous fix as gas was already well above 7p/kWh by May, and similarly electricity was well above 20p in most cases.
    Loyalty Jun 23v1 was already at the prices you show as the 'changed' rates when it was available earlier this year, it hasn't altered since then...
    If you look at your first bill on the new tariff, you will probably see part of the period on the previous cheaper fixed rate, and then the rest of the period on the new fixed rate.
    Can you tell use the name of the tariff you were on before the current one?









    Thank you,I’ll have to check the full details when I get the explanation from British Gas as they state those prices up until 30th June 2022 ( our contract was in may 2022)
    they then state it was changed to 6.994 gas and 27.847 electric until 21st sept 2022,, 
    then changing from 12th October 2022 to the current rates 🤔
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you wouldn't mind letting us know what they say? it sounds very odd and i can't see nay of the BG tarrifs are supposed to work like that (and those werent the variable rates so its not that either)
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

    It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

    Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    if you wouldn't mind letting us know what they say? it sounds very odd and i can't see nay of the BG tarrifs are supposed to work like that (and those werent the variable rates so its not that either)
    It sounds very much like the OP has been offered different fixed rates at different times, but hasn't actually been on any of the contracts until Loyalty Jun23v1.
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 December 2022 at 6:45PM
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    if you wouldn't mind letting us know what they say? it sounds very odd and i can't see nay of the BG tarrifs are supposed to work like that (and those werent the variable rates so its not that either)
    It sounds very much like the OP has been offered different fixed rates at different times, but hasn't actually been on any of the contracts until Loyalty Jun23v1.
    or if they had a confirmation text that the switch was happening maybe it was pulled before it actually started (i think i've heard that before) so they ended up on the loyalty tarrif eventually. 

    but if they were actually BILLED at the rates there quoting then that needs some more info to work out what happened. 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

    It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

    Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alan59 said:

    my next step will be ofgem but just wondered if this has happened to anyone else.
    Welcome to the forum.  If you need to escalate matters, you'd need to go to the Energy Ombudsman, not Ofgem.  You'd need to raise a formal complaint with BG, preferably in writing so that you have an audit trail.  You can them go to the Ombudsman upon receipt of a deadlock letter, or after eight weeks if they don't send one and it's still unresolved.
  • Alan59
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    Alan59 said:

    my next step will be ofgem but just wondered if this has happened to anyone else.
    Welcome to the forum.  If you need to escalate matters, you'd need to go to the Energy Ombudsman, not Ofgem.  You'd need to raise a formal complaint with BG, preferably in writing so that you have an audit trail.  You can them go to the Ombudsman upon receipt of a deadlock letter, or after eight weeks if they don't send one and it's still unresolved.
    Thank you, we have raised a formal complaint withBG who haven’t responded yet , it’s been over weeks now,they sent a reply saying sorry we haven’t contacted you, and outlining our right to go to the ombudsman 👌
  • Alan59
    Options
    I’ll update more when I finally get to the bottom of what’s going on,but at present BG are being very unresponsive and quiet 🥲
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards