Bathroom towel rail and/or radiator

Comments

• jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I do not think these towel rail rads can heat other than a very small bathroom, certainly not to the temperature I like when showering, and  especially not when covered in towels.

We have an ordinary radiator on the CH, with a simple  towel rail above for hand towels, and an electric only towel warmer for warming/drying bath towels, operated by a  timer.  You  could also fit a dual fuel towel warmer for using at different times of the year.

We also have an electric fan heater to use when the CH is not on.
  • Towel rail equals a warmer for towels as all the heat goes into them. We have the same issue I want to add a separate radiator but we just don’t have space at the moment hence bathroom chilly in the morning so considering going back to a normal rad and some form of ladder rail above 
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You can have small/common tower rails, wider and taller ones and or narrow and very tall towel rails and or designer ones.
    The standard chrome towel raisl don't suit the modern shower rooms IMO and like the OP's pic, you can get desginer ones and much bigger than that, we have. If your heating is working properly, even a small one at full blast heats up a big bathroom but 
    CARE is needed if you have young kids/toddlers and or frail people as they can get very hot so a bigger rad/towel rail with a mid temp over a larger areas is better IMO.

Thnaks
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Don’t have a towel rail, fit a vertical radiator.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Don't worry about having a towel rail.  They're so over rated and radiators are innocuous looking in most other rooms in the house, so why do we insist on paltry but samey looking chrome rails in bathrooms when you really need to be warm!! 

I'd definitely choose BTUs first. 

IF you did opt for a towel rail, white ones have heat outputs double that of chrome ones - so you can sometimes get the right amount of heat from a towel rail. 

But I will often put a radiator in with just a rail on the wall over it to hang towels.  Old school style works well or you can even buy clip on towel rails for vertical radiators like the Milano from Best Heating.   
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Doozergirl said: Don't worry about having a towel rail.  They're so over rated and radiators are innocuous looking in most other rooms in the house, so why do we insist on paltry but samey looking chrome rails in bathrooms when you really need to be warm!! 

I'd definitely choose BTUs first.
    Got a small (600x600) type 21 radiator in my small bathroom. It is only 2.4m by 1.8m, and the ~2700BTU/800W output is plenty to keep it warm. If I need a towel heated up, I just drape it over the radiator whilst soaking in the bath (assuming the CH is running).

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    An added benefit of a standard radiator (rather than vertical) is that if you place a mirror on the wall above it, the mirror will remain free of condensation while you shower.
  • Apodemus said:
    An added benefit of a standard radiator (rather than vertical) is that if you place a mirror on the wall above it, the mirror will remain free of condensation while you shower.
    I always stick a demister pad on the back of the mirror and connect it via the lighting circuit.

https://www.heatershop.co.uk/demista-mirror-demisters-mirror-heat-pads
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • I’ve got dual fuel chrome towel radiators and they seem fine. Bathrooms are small (less than 2x2 metres). It is really nice to be able to have warm dry towels on days when you don’t need the heating on, but it’s too cold for them to dry on their own. 
    As far as I can tell, dual fuel just means you put an electrical heating element in an otherwise ‘normal’ radiator. 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Wow some great tips there!!

I've inherited some 1950s looking double towel rails that are no beauties but the towels don't slide off them with the radiator under and you can rest your morning clothes on the top to be warm on a cold day. I love this.
    As they say 'don't change anything until you've lived with it a while.

So I'm working around the vintage theme by the look of it.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport