We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Do I need to claim?

Options
I'm looking for some advice please. 
I didn't know until I saw the MSE email on the 22nd November that there was such a thing as the 'alternative fuel payment'!  I have no mains gas and so had an oil  system installed in 2004 as the storage radiator system was far too inefficient.  Do I have to claim this 'alternative fuel payment' and , if so, how do I do that?  

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 3,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The latest update was that it is to be increased to £200. I don't believe the payment dates have been set yet, just that it will be distributed through your electricity account. There isn't any mechanism to claim that I am aware of, or detail as to how they are going to identify households. Just a case of wait and see.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/energy-prices-bill-how-households-and-businesses-will-be-supported/how-households-and-businesses-will-be-supported-by-the-energy-prices-bill#alternative-fuel-payments-domestic

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 117,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm looking for some advice please. 
    I didn't know until I saw the MSE email on the 22nd November that there was such a thing as the 'alternative fuel payment'!  I have no mains gas and so had an oil  system installed in 2004 as the storage radiator system was far too inefficient.  Do I have to claim this 'alternative fuel payment' and , if so, how do I do that?  
    There is no change to the answers already given on the other threads asking about this.

We do not know as the details are yet to be published.  The bits suggested so far are that it will be paid via the electricity suppliers who will identify those that do not have gas.   When and how are still unknown.  Wait and see if the current position.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 November 2022 at 9:15PM
    Options

Lots of threads discussing this mostly full of speculation.

Answer to your question: No.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure