IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN from Vehicle Control Services (VCS)

Hello all,

Received a "privacy notice" on my windscreen from VCS (Vehicle Control Services, the one with IPC) earlier this month, finally got the PCN in the mail. The "issue date (posted)" is the next working day after, so it's incredibly convenient that I somehow only received it in the mail earlier this week - and the reduced amount "offer" expired just a few days later.

This is in Scotland.

In the parking lot, there are two sets of signs of differing colours (let us call them A and B). Sign As say "123 Fluffy Bunny Dr only", Sign Bs do not. My parking permit allows me to park in "123 Fluffy Bunny Dr". I parked up at a row of bays that was fully illuminated on one end, not lit on the other. It was after dark, and I saw sign A beneath the lights. Sign B was not illuminated. There is a small kerb separating the supposed A and B sections, and I parked in the B section. I have pictures of how it looks like in both day and night, taken the evening after i received the "privacy notice".

Already complained to the landowner/management (this is residential), who said they do not have contacts with the parking service. I assumed this meant I had to escalate it up the chain, but every effort so far has been met with a jobsworth on the other end of the line. I will keep trying, of course.

Per the newbies guide, my next step is to send in an e-mail appeal (blue text). Massive thanks so far, already, for making this an approachable alternative to getting intimidated and paying these bullies.. Have a few Qs about my next steps:

1. Should I include the aforementioned pictures in the appeal?
  2. How litigious is VCS? Are they more likely to drop it, or are they a persistent bunch who will absolutely take me to small claims?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    This is in Scotland.
    Ignore them then.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • This is in Scotland.
    Ignore them then.

I know Scotland has the whole "no keeper liability" thing for now at least. So this means since they cannot name the driver (not a chance), they cannot demand payment from the keeper?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    This is in Scotland.
    Ignore them then.

I know Scotland has the whole "no keeper liability" thing for now at least. So this means since they cannot name the driver (not a chance), they cannot demand payment from the keeper?
    It means they can demand payment from the keeper, but they have no entitlement to it. While you will be bombarded by all kinds of written threats, just ignore them as you are in Scotland where no keeper liability currently exists; it will change in the coming year, but will not be applied retrospectively. Sleep easy. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This is in Scotland.
    Ignore them then.

I think you have answered your own question there.    :)
    Re-read your first sentence.
  • Sorry for bringing this up again, feel free to tell me off if this is a silly question.

I believe I'm now at the "debt recovery" stage with a solicitor. I know the court system is different in Scotland, and I know that these letters are nothing more than attempts at intimidation - but what keywords should I be looking out for if they are going to make a claim (or whatever it's called here)?
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 13 January 2023 at 10:15PM
    "Simple Procedure."

Google it and see what it would involve.  It will not happen.  Ignore it completely - nothing will happen - but be aware for FUTURE private parking charges (not this one):

(a). Scotland is adopting the new Code of Practice in a year or so, that will also apply in England and Wales.

(b). Scotland will also bring in 'registered keeper liability' (a bad thing for motorists) and a proper appeals service (a good thing).

The law is changing for you and us.

So, we sincerely hope that you are au fait with the need to respond to the final Government Public Consultation?

We anticipate it will be open very soon.

We all need to ram the nail in the coffin of the false £70 'DRA fee' add-on, that funds the DRA gaslighting of people that you are experiencing right now.

Whether in Scotland, England or Wales, all UK motorists should respond to make sure the level of parking charges is capped at a proportionate level AND the added £70 is banned.

Scotland intends to cap parking charges at £60 and the intention in England/Wales is/was PCNs starting at £50.  The public need to respond on numbers to agree, to see this through and over the line!

Please come back here when it opens, and you can make sure you don't miss the Consultation:

If you are not a regular reader, to be alerted you'll need to bookmark the thread by MSE_JC at the top of the forum and enable (on your profile) email alerts for bookmarked threads.

Then join us when the Consultation opens, pleeease!  Should be in a few weeks time.

• I absolutely will! The only pinned thread on this forum from MSE_JC is "Unfriendly behaviour on the board", though :(

Do you have a link to it? Thank you.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The only pinned thread on this forum from MSE_JC is "Unfriendly behaviour on the board", though :(
    No it isn't. Please look again.
  • Coupon-mad
    I absolutely will! The only pinned thread on this forum from MSE_JC is "Unfriendly behaviour on the board", though :(
    It is obviously not that one which I am well aware exists (should have been taken down by now, IMHO because it arose following lobbying by parking firms posing as money savers, and trying to get the regular posters here banned last Spring).

I didn't think I needed to explain which one out of the two!
  • Hello hello, a bit of an update. First off, it seems like the debt collectors at Follock and Pairbridge have given up trying to intimidate me. Two letters, one in Jan one in Feb. Nothing since!

Second, I am about to move, is there anything I need to do in terms of informing the PPC of my new address? It seems like in England this is needed because they can go to court (until 6 years have passed), but I'm not sure here.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback