Transfer communications

Options
Have other Forumites found bank communications on ISA transfers to be very generic and not application to them? After doing a partial transfer (which I believe both providers allow) I received a notification text from old provider saying account would be closed once transfer is complete. But logging into that account, I see just the requested amount transferred. With their phone lines jammed, is there any need for concern?

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,434 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 November 2022 at 10:35AM
    Options
    If the transfer money has left your original ISA and there remains a correct cash balance, then the part of the message about closure was probably included in error. If a partial transfer was not supported, they should not have accepted the transfer instruction at all.
  • Band7
    Band7 Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 November 2022 at 12:55PM
    Options
    Different providers communicate differently, and process differently. My experience with two recent transfers of the full balances:

Paragon to Santander (existing Santander customer)
    • Requested the transfer online on Saturday October 29 
    • Email from Paragon on Monday October 31 to say they had received a transfer request
    • Email from Paragon on Wednesday November 2 to say my ISA has been transferred - which I could confirm in Santander app
    • No closing statement from Paragon, and the account has vanished from Paragon online banking. Not an issue for me as I have other records
    • A week or so later I had a letter from Santander in the post telling me that my ISA transfer had been completed 

Coventry to YBS (existing YBS customer)
    • Requested the transfer online on Thursday November 25, after close of business
    • Text message from YBS on Friday November 26 to say they requested the money from Coventry
    • Secure message from YBS on Monday November 28 to advice that transfer has been completed
    • No communication from Coventry at all; account has vanished from Coventry online banking. Not sure whether they'll send a closing statement though I don't require one

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 December 2022 at 7:52PM
    Options
    My experience this week with partial isa transfers

Coventry triple access to Coventry fixed rate

full internal isa transfer, done immediately 27/11, email received on 30/11 to advise completed

Virgin easy access to Virgin fixed rate

partial transfer requested 27/11...completed 29/11.

Santander easy access to Coventry fixed rate

partial transfer, requested 27/11....completed 28/11

partial transfer requested 29/11...completed 1/12

Santander easy access to Santander fixed rate -

Partial transfer - tried to request on 28/11, but while speaking to advisor, phone call cut off. I thought he would ring me back, but the phone rang once only, when I rang back again it was not an incoming phone line so gave up for the day.

Requested again on 29/11, advisor had to fill in a form to get this done - currently still waiting to complete.

Santander easy access to Virgin fixed rate,

partial transfer, requested 27/11....rejected by Santander - only found this out on 30/11 when querying duplicate transfer with Virgin - see following problem which is how I found out about this one being rejected when I contacted Virgin on 30/11

partial transfer requested 29/11...completed 30/11, but the transferred amount was duplicated - still trying to find out whose fault that was

I spent 4 hours yesterday chasing the above two transfers with Santander and Virgin. Virgin told me that the transfer request on 27/11 had been rejected by Santander.

I went through security with Santander and was transferred into a queue where I waited for 2hr 10mins, during which time I spoke to an advisor on chat who said I should keep on the line. They said they only had limited access to my accounts and couldn't tell what the problem was and couldn't advise on waiting times.

During this time I got an email telling me to log onto Santander as I had an alert - it was telling me that the first transfer to Coventry had gone through, but it gave a different contact number, so I rang that one.

I got through security again, and into the queue where I was instantly cut off

Went back into queue again after new call and security, and was answered quite quickly

Advisor was not very helpful, said first transfer failed because by the time request was dealt with my balance had changed since the request had been sent it - that didn't make much sense as when you make a request, you have no idea what order they will be sent in by different companies, but once received, I assumed would be in order they were received - obviously not. And why does it matter anyway if there is enough money to complete each one

I said I thought it could be due to the duplication of the later transfer, but he said that was not the problem. I couldn't understand why the later transfer to Virgin (duplicated), was done before the first one to Virgin. He said I should have sent both together. 

Advisor told me to request the first transfer via Virgin again - I said it would fail, but he didn't seem to understand why. I said I would resend it less the duplicated amount, as there would not enough money in the account once all transfers had completed. 

After I came off the phone, I arranged the transfer less the duplicated amount. I rang Virgin who could see the transfer and said all was well. I asked her to find out whose fault it was that the other transfer was duplicated, she said she would ring me back today. No call received as yet

However, the transfer completed today and now I just have the internal Santander transfer to be completed, and I will request a final transfer (less than £100 plus interest) from the Santander easy isa to the Virgin easy isa once the internal one is completed.

I've already got two outstanding complaints with Virgin. Is it just me that found out that if you open another easy access Isa, 3% interest, and arrange a transfer in, that the original gets closed and monies moved to the new one so you don't have to send transfer forms in? I didn't - I don't imagine they realised either. It's far quicker.

I have also raised a complaint with Santander via chat. 

Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Band7 said:
    Different providers communicate differently, and process differently. My experience with two recent transfers of the full balances:

Paragon to Santander (existing Santander customer)
    • No closing statement from Paragon, and the account has vanished from Paragon online banking. Not an issue for me as I have other records

It'll still be there. You'll find it under the closed accounts tab. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback